By Anthony Kaufman | ReelPolitik March 13, 2012 at 11:35AM
After winning the best foreign language film Oscar for "A Separation" and causing further political-cultural tremors inside his country, Iranian director Asghar Farhadi will be reportedly going to France for his next film, and not the one originally planned, according to Variety. The trade reports that Farhadi will work with Gallic producer Alexandre Mallet-Guy ("Taxidermia," "Cold Souls"), and that specific casting and story details will be announced nearer to the Cannes Film Festival in May.
Mallet-Guy told Variety that the project will not be Farhadi's previously announced Paris-set love story between an Iranian girl and a North-African boy.
Rumors have also circulated that Farhadi might leave Iran semi-permanently, but Farhadi told Iran's official news agency, "I love my country and I will not change it for anywhere in the world," he said. "I will never emigrate from Iran," he said.
Meanwhile, the politics surrounding "A Separation" in Iran continue to be thorny. Plans to celebrate Farhadi and "A Separation" in Tehran were suddenly cancelled Monday by government officials.