Tweens ran rampant at the multiplex last night while resulted in "The Fault In Our Stars" rocking to a $26 million opening night, including Thursday night's preview showings. Prepare for a sizable drop today thanks to the Kings/Rangers game (...as if) but a 40%+ tumble still puts the Shailene Woodley weeper at roughly $55 million for the weekend. The film enjoyed an A Cinemascore and reaction to the Thursday night show I attended (yes I was the only person over 40 there and, again yes, I was the only male) was overwhelmingly positive. It might behoove mascara stores to run specials this weekend.
Tom Cruise's "Edge Of Tomorrow" performed about as I projected yesterday with $10.5 million Friday, which should result in a $29 million three day stanza. The film's Cinemascore was B+, which I would have been thrilled with in 9th grade Algebra but was a bit low for a Doug Liman film.
"Maleficent" took in $10 million last night and with an overall drop of 51%, as predicted yesterday, the film should land around a $33 million plateau, which should be enough to hold off the advances of Cruise & Co.
Oh and one last thing, "22 Jump Street" was outstanding in the UK last night. The film opens Stateside this Friday.
Full studio estimates are coming but this is how the Top 10 looks...
1) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS---FOX---$55 MILLION
2) MALEFICENT---DISNEY---$33 MILLION
3) EDGE OF TOMORROW---WARNERS---$29 MILLION
4) X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST---FOX---$14,5 MILLION
5) A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST---UNIVERSAL---$7 MILLION
6) GODZILLA---WARNERS---$6 MILLION
7) NEIGHBORS---UNIVERSAL---$5 MILLION
8) BLENDED---WARNERS---$4 MILLION
9) CHEF---OPEN ROAD---$2.5 MILLION
10) MILLION DOLLAR ARM---DISNEY---$2 MILLION