By Jim Amos | Box Office Insider June 20, 2014 at 12:22PM
It looks like yet another winner for Kevin Hart, director Tim Story and Clint Culpepper and the gang at Screen Gems as "Think Like A Man Too" is poised to take control of the weekend box office, far outdistancing Sony's other comedy, "22 Jump Street", Dreamworks' "How To Train Your Dragon 2" and the other movie opening this weekend from a guy named Clint, "Jersey Boys".
Tim Story's last directorial effort was January's "Ride Along" which opened to a jaw-dropping $41 million and as the week has gone along industry estimates on "TLAM2" have been pushing northward. I predicted $38 million on Monday (which was on the high end at the time) and I'll stick with it and last night's $1.8 million worth of Thursday night late shows certainly did nothing to change my mind.
Elsewhere, what should we make of Warners' "Jersey Boys"? The film never really got any solid traction and all attempts at making the film accessible to a younger audience appear to have failed. If older adults, notorious for avoiding opening weekend at their local multiplex, wander in during the week or on successive weekends then the film has a chance to make it over the long haul. But opening weekend prospects look slim.
And lastly, will it be Sony at #'s 1-2 this weekend? Hmm, I think "HTTYD2" will ultimately grab the second spot. With nothing opening for that audience it shouldn't drop more than 40% and "TLAM2" will cut into "22 Jump Street" a bit. Both films have been solid during the week so it could be a fun battle for the Place position this weekend. Check back for Saturday and Sunday morning estimates.
PROJECTED WEEKEND BOX OFFICE TOP 10
1) THINK LIKE A MAN TOO---SONY/SCREEN GEMS---$38.0 MILLION
2) HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2---FOX/DREAMWORKS---$30.1 MILLION---39% DROP
3) 22 JUMP STREET---SONY---$28.1 MILLION---51% DROP
4) JERSEY BOYS---WARNER BROTHERS---$14 MILLION
5) MALEFICENT---BUENA VISTA---$11.8 MILLION---36% DROP
6) EDGE OF TOMORROW---WARNER BROTHERS---$9.7 MILLION---41% DROP
7) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS---FOX---$6.9 MILLION---53% DROP
8) X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST---FOX---$6.1 MILLION---38% DROP
9) GODZILLA---WARNER BROTHERS---$1.8 MILLION---46% DROP
10) CHEF---OPEN ROAD---$1.6 MILLION---25% DROP