By Jim Amos | Box Office Insider April 29, 2014 at 4:45PM
People who don't "get" the attraction of 1964's classic Beatles film, "A Hard Day's Night", simply look at the movie as 87 minutes of the Liverpool lads running around and bursting into song at a moment's notice and compare it to such travesties as "From Justin To Kelly" or "Justin Bieber: Never Say Never". Argh, it pained me even writing that! But look closer and you'll find a witty and breezy screenplay by Alun Owen and masterful direction by the great Richard Lester. Granted, some of the film was ad-libbed, but less than you'd actually think. Owen's screenplay fits the era and the quirkiness of the four leads to zany perfection.
So, in honor of today's word that Janus Films will release a fully restored 50th Anniversary version of "A Hard Day's Night", we here at Box Office Insider humbly present, Top 10 Most Memorable "A Hard Day's Night" Lines...
10. (John, in the Queen's voice cutting into a tailor's tape measure) "I now declare this bridge open!"
9. (Ringo) "Sorry we hurt your field, Mister"
8. (Ringo) "There you go, hiding behind a smokescreen of bourgeois cliches"
7. (John, when warned about the impending surge of girls) "Please, sir, sir, can't I have just one to surge me, sir?"
6. (Paul, referring to his grandfather) "He's very clean, you know"
5. (John) "Control yourself, you'll spurt"
4. (George, when asked what he'd call his hairstyle) "Arthur"
3. (Ringo, when asked if he thought his hairstyle was here to stay) "Well this one is. It's stuck on good and proper now"
2. (Ringo, when asked if he's a Mod or a Rocker) "I'm a Mocker"
1. (John, when asked how he found America) "Turned left at Greenland"