Spike Lee and HBO Ink Deal for New Orleans Follow-Up

by Bryce J. Renninger
January 14, 2010 9:09 AM
2 Comments
  • |

HBO has signed a deal with Spike Lee and his production company, 40 Acres and a Mule, to produce a follow-up to "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts." The new doc will again be directed by Lee and produced and edited by Sam Pollard. Shooting will begin tomorrow in New Orleans. For the new film, Lee will revisit some of the subjects he followed in the first doc. He will also expand beyond the city limits to find stories along the Gulf Coast. HBO Doc President Sheila Nevins commented in a prepared statement, “‘When the Levees Broke’ was a landmark in documentary filmmaking. It’s an exciting notion to anticipate Spike going back for this reprise.” The original doc received three Emmys and was a huge critical success.

  • |

2 Comments

  • Jameshia Harris | January 15, 2010 4:26 AMReply

    Ironically enough, I hv been watchn When The Levees Broke over the last week, and thought about a follow up film! I am a recent graduate of Georgia State Univ. and also an inspiring film maker and would love to help bc I think there is so much more to be told! Spike did an amazing job and I can't wait to see what he produces after 5 yrs later!

  • doctorj | January 15, 2010 12:07 AMReply

    What fantastic news! The whole story NEEDS to be told. I thank Mr. Lee for telling our story. Our voice must be heard!