Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Vin Diesel's "The Ropes" No Longer Web Series; Debuts On Netflix. Watch Season 1 Now

News
by Tambay A. Obenson
March 2, 2012 11:03 AM
85 Comments
  • |
The Ropes

I learned yesterday, not-so-long after I posted the promo art for it, that Vin Diesel's new web series with Fox Digital Entertainment, titled The Ropes - an original series about the lives of bouncers - is actually no longer a web series, and is now available on Netflix. You can stream it there right now if you have a Netflix account.

I'm watching episode 2 as I type this. Ho-hum; I wouldn't be in any rush to see it.

Each episode is about 24 minutes long, which tells me that they may have been aiming for TV, likely cable, given the R-rated content.

There are a total of 6 episodes, each marked Season 1, which suggest that there may be more coming... as in a season 2.

Recall Zoe Saldana signed on the direct at least one episode; I just scrolled the credits of Episode 2 and saw her name listed as director of 2 of the segments within epidode 2. Each episode is apparently broken up into 3 parts.

Vin doesn't act in it, but he's listed as writer and director of several episodes.

Given what I've seen thus far, really nothing at all special about this. It's actually kind of dull; the writing and acting aren't that great. I guess I can see why there wasn't much fanfare about its Netflix debut; lots of what you'd expect, all falling under two headers: sex and violence.

The series plan was to cast real-life bouncers who can also act, or actors, like Diesel, who have had experience as bouncers at one time or another in their lives; the goal being to make the series as authentic as possible.

If you're at all curious, head over to Netflix and watch.

News
  • |

More: New On VOD

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries

85 Comments

• Paulina | September 1, 2014 2:06 AMReply

I LOVE this show. Need a season 2,3,4,5, etc! Definitely got attached to the characters. I disagree with what was said above it is worth watching and I would recommend this to everyone. I got attached right from the beginning.

• Melvin | August 23, 2014 11:58 PMReply

I love this series am a promoter for nightclubs and the stories are on point. Hope there is more seasons cause the night life has slot of stories that are funny and fun. If you don't enjoy thus then your life must be dull but if ur a bubble person it's a must see. 100% must see

• Mase | May 28, 2014 1:01 AMReply

Yes I agree with the consensus, this show was really good, I was shocked where it ended. Netflix was smart enough to pick it up, I hope they're smart enough to continue the series. If the got BS like Orange is the New Black and Hemlock whatever they can surely run with this. The Ropes and House of Cards can be their flagship programs

• Karina | January 5, 2014 8:37 PMReply

I disagree completely ... This show is worth watching! And I'm super sad there hasn't been a season 2 released. Everyone I know that has seen it seems to agree. It may have started out a little slow... A little rusty... But by the end of the 6th episode I was attached to the characters ... Especially that Marty. I think it's got a sopranos feel to it... And that with more exposure could easily fit an HBO lineup. That's my take. My advice is watch all 6 episodes and reevaluate this review... Perhaps your feelings won't change. Perhaps it won't even matter to the series if your opinion was to change... But that's my opinion on the matter from one critic to another.

• Shana | January 1, 2014 9:17 PMReply

Definitely need a Season 2

• zegeli | August 27, 2013 12:28 PMReply

Yeah, I loved the show but cant find any info about season 2, I really want to se more, hope it continues

• Bebe | August 17, 2013 9:41 AMReply

All I want to know is when is season 2 premiering? I love this show

• rashawn | July 2, 2013 8:35 PMReply

Ninja black and Big Vic are my favorite you have to make another season.

• TJ Jones | July 2, 2013 2:45 PMReply

I enjoyed the series to the fullest. I jumped up and down at certain parts of the series because I felt the energy. I can't wait for more.

• Anon | June 30, 2013 10:36 PMReply

Oh man, this series was AWESOME. Man, just.... everything. Don't wanna spoil nothing, but y'all who got doubts about this needs to sit down, shut up, and watch the whole thing. From the beginning to the end. I promise you, it's great. I want this to succeed, you know? I want season TWO!

• Tony Merlin | May 19, 2013 3:40 PMReply

Awesome series, watched in one sitting, really hope there will be another (-;

• Jon | May 17, 2013 1:42 PMReply

Make moreeeee

• T | April 23, 2013 1:42 AMReply

Need another season for sure!

• T | April 23, 2013 1:41 AMReply

Need another season for sure!

• Ryan | April 14, 2013 12:21 AMReply

This guy must have been watching the wrong show, because it was great, another series please Vin! it has its own look and style, and the characters are great, big spick, haha

• Nelson | April 4, 2013 9:14 PMReply

MAKE MORE EPISODES PLEAAAAAASE!!!!!

• Kwame' | March 28, 2013 7:33 AMReply

As a former bouncer, this is very much so a great inside look at what really goes on in front and behind the Velvet Rope.. Good job..

• Isaiah | March 26, 2013 1:23 AMReply

The ropes was good. Better then half the shit on Netflix.plys it was a four star when looking through Netflix. I gave it a five star. Ur dumb dude

• Blondee | March 20, 2013 8:44 AMReply

Absolutely loved this! Go Vin. I think it is refreshing to see a show that is based on real life events. Not those reality shows that are FAKE and EXAGGERATED. I would love to see more.

• tommyo | February 16, 2013 10:03 PMReply

Tambay, You must be High!!! The writing and acting are great in this show. All seven episodes. Looking forward to season 2

• CW Lone Wolf | January 28, 2013 1:56 AMReply

Vin Diesel's The Ropes is an enjoyable must see series. The only disappointment is 6, 24 minute episodes rather then 22 episodes. Yet in spite of the short episodes, the series covers the security in a typical hot night club in the most revealing behind the scenes look, any series has ever attempted. Casting, character interaction, location and sets, camera work, and editing were all superb. The sex, violence, and drug use were there, but were tastefully handled, in my opinion. This series reveals a whole new side of Vin Diesel that most fans never suspected. As with others, I look forward to season two with great anticipation!

• TC | February 16, 2013 9:20 PM

Wow, just watched season 1 on Netflix in one sitting. Awesome show, very well done. Great characters. Please keep it going. If I was HBO I'd be all over it.

• Jj | January 9, 2013 3:55 AMReply

Very good series! please vin give us more seasons! :)

• Stiffmiester | January 4, 2013 3:58 AMReply

Just finished the whole season. I was addicted after the first episode. It needs to have another season with more episodes ...this is an outrage lol it should defiantly be on t.v. Unpatiently waiting for the next season can't wait!

• Liam | December 5, 2012 3:25 PMReply

I absolutely loved this series, im praying that there is a series 2 to come. The first episode is abit dull but you soon become attached to the screen, once you get to know the story. Please please please let there be another series!!!!!

• BrownLou | December 3, 2012 1:02 PMReply

I'm not here to insult the writer of this article, but it comes off as sophomoric to write so dismissively about this show after only watching two episodes. There is more to this show than sex and violence all you have to do is watch. I would also greatly enjoy another season.

• George | January 10, 2013 4:04 PM

Nail on the head. Two episodes is not enough to judge this series. I tend to look at a series as a whole, and this one was fantastic! I loved the finale!

Yes I want more! & I highly recommend this, really worth watching.

• Sandgrepate@yahoo.com | October 24, 2012 6:43 PMReply

Vin I need season 2!!!! I came across "the ropes" by chance, I watched the first episode and couldn't stop watching. I love the action, sexiness of it, and the story it tells. I'm hooked!!! Actors are great, the story line gots my attention. Those who don't like the show must be disturbed because it's super good. Now hurry up and get us season 2, please. :0)

• Revet13 | October 5, 2012 8:04 AMReply

Absolutely amazing i watched one episode and couldn't stop. Bring on season 2 Vin.

• Harry | July 27, 2012 3:12 PMReply

I gotta agree that this reviewer is an idiot. Go watch the Westminster dog show or something pal because you have no business reviewing anything of substance. Netflix is missing 2 episodes from season 1 for anyone that cares

• Wes | June 9, 2012 7:22 AMReply

WTF Vin we want season 2 keepem comn bro

• Bouncer in San Francisco 16+years | June 4, 2012 5:00 AMReply

I just watched the entire 1st Season. To me this is great and true to what goes on with nightlife bouncers. Most bouncers in SF are out sourced to private companies now so they may feel its BS. But I can say I have been witness and experienced about 99% of what I ahve seen in season 1. GREAT GREAT Series. I hope Vin Diesel keeps it going.

• Mike Patton | May 7, 2012 11:16 PMReply

This show was awesome. This lame blogger watched an episode and a half the wrote this review. Tamby your a retard go back to Starbucks with you lame Mac laptop.... At least watch the whole season before reviewing... You should be fired

• Ryutens | June 25, 2013 4:40 PM

You must be an ex-bouncer and marine.

• Ammad | April 25, 2012 1:58 AMReply

i watched season 1 all in one day on Netflix it was awesome

• Meekmilly | April 22, 2012 4:44 PMReply

Loved it from the first episode are they gonna have second season ?? And when because im hyped!!! I felt like i knew them. Lol

• Bender | April 14, 2012 5:04 PMReply

This guy Tambay(reviewer) is an absolute moron, he has no business writing another word about another show in his life. I base all my opinions on his retarded review of The Ropes.
    This show was the most authentic bouncer portrayal I've seen, I used to manage a club with bouncers, they really are that scandalous. Anyway, to the reviewer, you are an idiot guy, stop writing things ever again, in fact break your fingers.

• Rich | April 14, 2012 4:56 PMReply

This show was beyond awesome, I can't believe it got cancelled.
    Everyone I know who saw it also thought it was awesome.
    Anyway, you don't need to get netflix to watch it, it's free on crackle.

• Chops | March 28, 2012 11:37 PMReply

Great show!!!!! I Can't wait to see more episode.

• vega | March 25, 2012 5:34 PMReply

This show is awesome can't wait for more

• faj | March 24, 2012 9:19 PMReply

I disagree with this writer when he/she said there's nothing exciting about this show! We love it and hope more are coming on netflix. Just watched three episodes and want to watch more.

• hector | March 10, 2012 11:37 PMReply

1 to 10 8.5 I like hope more coming

• Msjcam | March 9, 2012 6:28 AMReply

Up late at night. Addicted to this show. It's pretty good.

• Dirty | March 8, 2012 10:44 PMReply

Just finished watching season 1 on Netflix last night, and I can honestly say that this is one terrific show. Too bad there's not more episodes out there! The cast is really convincing, and if anyone wants to know, yeah, this show is very authentic....it's exactly how it is when you work at a nightclub.....take it from me, I use to do what those guys did. Overall, excellent job...very impressive drama.
    Cheers.

• Vince | March 8, 2012 1:30 AMReply

U have to watch all six episodes to get the epicness from it but i love it i just wish it would of picked up before episode 4. Cant wait for next season

• Cheezy | March 7, 2012 4:17 PMReply

Just watched all 6 episodes and I'm pissed I can't watch more, this needs to be continued on netflix, or tv. Great show, except leaving it end the way it did.

• Katofprey | March 7, 2012 9:29 AMReply

Tambay you have been watching too much network TV, this show was riveting, edgy and well written. Can't wait for more,

• BONDGIRL | March 6, 2012 11:16 AMReply

Brian Hooks as "Ninja Black"? I'm going to ask for writers to stop referring to black people with the current colloquialism for "ni@@er". First the writer of Chronicle did it, now here...you're not slick.

• Ryutens | June 25, 2013 4:44 PM

The called him Ninja because he was into martial arts and eastern philosophy... Subtle is lost on you.

• friedbanana | March 6, 2012 10:29 AMReply

Season one is def one for the books ! Bravo, Vin & Zoë .. Not bad at all.. Can't wait to see more !!

• friedbanana | March 6, 2012 10:30 AM

**Zoe

>_<

• Q. | March 6, 2012 6:17 AMReply

"Good job Diesel"

• Brett | March 6, 2012 5:06 AMReply

Just watched 1-6 thumbs up guys/gals!! Give us more.

• omar | March 5, 2012 7:50 PMReply

this series is frekkin epic. i hope they release more episodes. btw, xbox gold members can watch this on crackle for free.

• Jake | March 4, 2012 6:17 PMReply

I heard about this show last nite and watched the episode 1 and i thought to myself .. "theres looks pretty good i guess" then i watched two more episodes and i loved it and today i just finished watching season 1 episode 1-6 and it was truly awesome!

• Logic | March 4, 2012 4:24 AMReply

Yikes, sounds like the cast of the Jersey Shore decided to pay the site a visit. Who knew they could read?? You should have given the show four fist pumps, Tambay.

• BaudEagle | March 4, 2012 3:54 AMReply

I loved The Ropes and hope there will be more seasons released. I could easily envision Steve Wilkos, Ron Perlman, Mark or Donnie Wahlberg as characters in this world and appreciated Taye Diggs making an appearance. I think this series is like a rose growing from the cobblestone of an alley, all the more beautiful for growing out of a uncommon place. It is unique in that for the most part the story takes place out of the limelight and in the dark shadows. It is like the bodyguard movies of the 90's on roids and beer. Not for the innocent or faint of heart, this is a show best sponsored by a condom manufacturer, bail bonds service, and a chiropractor.

• Tracye | March 4, 2012 12:49 AMReply

Whoever wrote this article, is a Monkey. It starts off slow but by the last episode you're fully in. It was a nice surprise and I do hope there is a second season. This show needs more word of mouth since Mr. Vin is afraid to do press on it ;) Spread the word, The Ropes is good.

• Kim | March 3, 2012 10:39 PMReply

I will agree the 1st 2 episodes were slow to start.....then it got rolling and was very interesting...can't wait for season 2!!!

• kim | March 3, 2012 10:46 PM

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME....and not just because our nephew is playing Martin (the professor)....keeps you on the edge of your seat!! We are so proud of you Ryan!!

• Kelea | March 3, 2012 8:46 PMReply

Holy spam alert Batman! Looks like Tambay hit a nerve...or two. Haha.

• Jim | March 3, 2012 2:42 PMReply

Whoever wrote this article is a joke. This show is great. Could not stop watching it.

• Akimbo | March 3, 2012 1:12 PMReply

Have there ever been so many comments on a web series post before? So many similarly effusive ones that make sure to drop the name of the platform on which the watched the show? I checked out the trailer; superdramatic, looks like it's telling a typical story decently, but...are we supposed to buy bouncers as the mafia now?

• BigCityHammer | March 3, 2012 2:41 PM

Its not that bouncers are mafia, but many have worked in that world as well. Believe me after 22 years of bouncing I have seen my a lot extra favors done. This is the first time I have seen bouncers portrayed correctly. I swear it's like someone is telling my life story in six episodes.

• anotherfakemonikergivingpraise | March 3, 2012 12:48 PMReply

Agree with everyone here! This show is the greatest web series ever made in all of history and mankind! I think I'll make another fake moniker to give more fake praise so people will think its good since the reviewer crapped on it! YEAH!! GO ROPES!!!

• Anton | March 3, 2012 11:56 AMReply

Great show, had me glued for 5 episodes straight until I had to go to sleep, only to finish in the morning. Good acting, authentic feel whilst still not coming across as amateur work. Great show.

• Jeff Koenig | March 3, 2012 11:03 AMReply

Haven't seen the show yet, but the title of this article is incorrect. Netflix delivers content via IP. Unless they're suddenly a broadcast network and not an online service, The Ropes is still technically a web series.

Not sure why you'd think it isn't?

-Jeff Koenig
    International Academy of Web Television

• Someone in the know | March 3, 2012 7:50 AMReply

As someone who has worked in the club business as security, promotions, and various other positions over the last 12 years it is the closest thing to the real deal that has ever been put out. Once your part of the fraternity yours always a part unless you break one of ther unbreakable rules. from one member of the family to another great job vin, keep rollin out new episodes.

• another happy viewer | March 3, 2012 6:35 AMReply

this reviewer doesn't know a good show when they see one. i just watched all 6 episodes on netflix, i thought it was great. i hope they keep in production and come back with another season soon.. more episodes in a season would be nice, either that or make them 1 long episodes... it was too short.

• happy viewer | March 3, 2012 6:36 AM

that was supposed to be 1 hour long.... not 1 long...

• D.S | March 3, 2012 4:03 AMReply

awesome show. watched all six epsiodes on netflix with my gf n loved it. When was it started n are there more seasons coming?

• John z | March 3, 2012 2:03 AMReply

Just watched the whole first season myself. This show is
    Legit!!!! Check it out. Give us another season!!! Btw whomever
    reviewed this series for you is pretty obtuse :)

• Heron | March 2, 2012 9:05 PMReply

Agreed with others comments. Love the show! Just watched all six episodes.. couldn't stop. Great style, has a lot of heart. You can't help but love the characters. Waiting for more.

• DrunkenMonk | March 2, 2012 7:33 PMReply

Whoever wrote this article must've gotten kicked out of the club. This show is damn good, I've been hooked since episode one.

• jrock | March 2, 2012 6:48 PMReply

This show is the best can't wait for more seasons

• mMoiveshub | March 2, 2012 3:13 PMReply

Wow!" This Is Show AMAZING... i m lm from Newyork and live in City But this Show Shows how it really gose down in the Night We'hours from the City that Never Sleeps NYC. Im not much of a tv' watcher or movie guy but episode 1 - 6 of " THE ROPES " on Crackle is just Mind blowing ; i Love ever moment of this Series i Just had to say that" and the Drama & story of the plot... is very amazing as well " (l Can't wait for episodes 7. ) Keep up the good work! please and i can't wait to see what happens to Martin ( The Professor) and Big Vic... FAV-SHOW now...!!! Thank's Vin Diesel. & All The Cast From "The Ropes"

• Heron | March 2, 2012 9:08 PM

Agreed! Love it!

• rgordon | March 2, 2012 2:27 PMReply

Duh - sex and violence is the name of the game on cable; if a white woman has sex on a cable tv episode, that episode is a hit - string together enough white women having sex episodes and you've got a hit series - do the research

• Ryutens | June 25, 2013 4:50 PM

Pretty sure you missed the two black chicks. Also pretty sure some latino and one asian girl.

• yuselfserve | March 3, 2012 12:38 PM

You mean Whores!

• Duncan Manutz | March 2, 2012 2:00 PMReply

Watching it now...Dam Good...

• PHIL K | March 2, 2012 1:39 PMReply

I just finished watching the whole series of 6 episodes on XBOX Live CRACKLE app.... I couldn't stop watching it, I really liked the whole setup. The "short clip style" of screenplay is different, but it kept me glued watching it. I hope they plan on making more of this series.

• Akimbo | March 6, 2012 2:32 PM

How much are they paying you and is it too late to sign up? I can be a good schill, too!

• Ariana Coentrao | March 2, 2012 3:15 PM

+4 Same here" GREAT SHOW * i love it.

• danny G | March 2, 2012 12:06 PMReply

I guess we can all clearly see why who ever wrote this article is NOT a critic lol... "The Ropes" is awesome!!!

Email Updates

Most "Liked"

• Denzel Washington, Antoine Fuqua Take ...
  • Watch 'Inside Africa's' Trip to Kenya ...
  • Emmy Trophies Will Be Handed Out Tonight. ...
  • 'Short Term 12' Star Keith Stanfield ...
  • Caribbean Film VOD Platform STUDIO ANANSI ...
  • Muted, Black & White First Trailer for ...
  • Exclusive - Watch 1st Trailer for Nefertite ...
  • Ving Rhames Will Reprise His Role as ...
  • Watch 'Gotham: The Legend Reborn' Preview ...
  • Film Life, Inc. (Parent Company of the ...