Well.. in case you haven't heard... Mr Perry's website has been flooded with comments and messages from his "fans" expressing their contempt for his casting Kim Kardashian in his upcoming movie, The Marriage Counselor. I put the word "fans" in quotes because I don't have any evidence to say whether or not these are his usual supporters who frequent his website, or trolls.
And when I say flooded, I mean it. I clicked through page after page of comments lamenting Kardashian's casting, with many saying that, although they've been long-time supporters of Perry's films in the past, this is one film of his that they won't be paying to see!
I bring all this up because, as I think was suggested in a previous post (or maybe it was on the podcast last week) that his casting of Kim K. might not sit very well with his loyal pious base, given Kim K.'s rep. And her recent "divorce" from NBA player Kris Humphries after 72 days of marriage certainly didn't help matters.
The negative comments only seem to have intensified since that announcement.
Here are a few recent comments from "fans" on his website:
- This is my first comment ever and have chosen to post it on your website. I have always loved your movies. You being a christian comes out in your movies. They are in good taste and I enjoy the trash-free scripts. I was very disappointed to hear you are having a reality star by the name of Kim Kardashian star in one of your movies called "The Marriage Counselor". I will boycott the movie if Kim Kardashian is in it. Like I said before this is my first time writing in anyone's blog but felt the need to do this. These people (Kardasians) are what is wrong with our society today. They are bad role models for our youth today.
- Mr. Perry as much as we the middle class black folks love u!!! I have made my mind up on your next movie. Me and my wife and children will NOT be supporting you on this one. You are way to classy to have this un-talented lady name Kim Kardashian in your film, She only uses our black brothers for money,sex!!!!! What kind of role model is she and again sir WHY??? All the black actresses out there needing owrk and you choose this negitive person how sad. And what a slap in our face as black people. But I guess cause you have your MILLIONS now you don't care how we thepeople feel after we are the ones who helped you make these millions. WOW...do the RIGHT thing pull her from the movie PLEASE Mr.Perry
- Mr. Perry... Please rethink using Kim Kardashian in your movie. You are a man who inspires people with your integrity. I don't care that she got a divorce, many do. She would be such a distraction to your movie. You are a genius. Please don't get caught up in the hype. I cannot support a movie that she is in. The poor thing needs to learn how to be a person, not a robot... Help her, help herself.
- Mr Perry, Although I've supported you and your movies since the first Madea I just e-mailed Lionsgate to let them know I'll no longer see any of theirs or your movies. It was a well thought and sad decision but one I had to make based on you giving Kim Kardashian a role in the "Marriage Counselor". With so many actors giving blood, sweat and tears to hone their craft your decision to give the role to this person who's only claim to fame is a p**** tape and fake b*** is truly appalling. Of course I wish you well in life as you had been an inspiration to me for many years, but I've accepted that you've been drinking the "Hollywood Koolaid" and are now "DRUNK".
- I love your movies, your tv shows, interviews and your work on Extreme makeover. I do not appreciate the Kardashians, especially Kim, at this time. The way they are transferring their influence on girls today is uninspired and lacks thoughtfullness. They literally have people buying their hand-me downs claiming *a portion of the proceeds will be donated to charity. I believe their mission and business objective was once with purpose and discretion - but now, they lack merit and ethics. I don't believe Kim should be placed in your movie at this time. I think the public outlash will cause your successful movie to dwindle. Thank you, Marnie
There are a lot more where those 5 came from (just click HERE).
So, again, are all these folks his fans, or just trolls trying to stir things up, or maybe a little of both?
As I said earlier, the question was asked as to what the casting of Kim K. could mean for this particular film, as well as the Tyler Perry brand which he's sold so well to his fiercely loyal base, given Kim K.'s *sinful* ways (at least, from the eyes of TP's wholesome Christian base)?
I dunno... if any of these comments are legit, it could very well be of some concern for TP, as his base maybe starts to question the brand he's built over the years, and thus the man behind it; though the casting of Kim K. could also bring audiences to the theaters that have previously avoided TP's flicks, if only to see how Kim K. fares.
According to TMZ, Perry told them that Kim K. is still scheduled to work on the movie as planned, so he's obviously not giving in to fan requests.
We'll see... although, quite frankly, I don't really care either way. It's not a movie that I was planning to see, with or without Kim K. I've seen her *ahem* perform - a performance I was actually content with, and thus not interested in seeing her in any other way :)