Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Shadow and Act

'Finding the New Black' Interview with Jesse Williams ('Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Butler,' 'Question Bridge')

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • August 1, 2012 10:23 AM
  • 13 Comments
"This is a different generation. We’re not categorized by these old-school black-and-white tropes that are just not relevant in today's society. But yet and still we keep pulling from the same pool of material we were pulling from in 1989 or 1993."

'Finding the New Black' Interview with 'More Than a Month' Director Shukree Tilghman

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • July 17, 2012 10:23 AM
  • 0 Comments
"Many times, funders are looking for different approaches, new ways to think about documentaries. They’ve seen a lot of talking heads and long pans over black-and-white photos. So I think being a fresh voice, and a person with a narrative storytelling background was an advantage."

"Finding the New Black" Interview with Screenwriter Benjamin Cory Jones

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • April 30, 2012 10:10 AM
  • 12 Comments
"Really, the way you get an agent, the way you get a job, the way you get anything is by expanding your network... Because this is an apprenticeship business."

"Finding the New Black" Interview w/"Oversimplification" Director Terence Nance

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • April 13, 2012 10:55 AM
  • 14 Comments
"I know how I want things to turn out for the movies that I’m making, but I would never want to frame people’s expectations around what they’re going to see. But also, the idea that my first movie will have anything stylistically to do with my second or third, is an idea that I reject a little bit, other than it being engaging and good."

"Finding the New Black" Interview with TV Writer & Filmmaker Lena Waithe (Part 2)

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • March 27, 2012 2:54 PM
  • 4 Comments
"We’re ‘80s babies. So we were coming of age in the ‘90s when Spike Lee was king of black cinema and Tyler Perry wasn’t even a thought. John Singleton was getting nominated for an Oscar. You had the Hughes Brothers taking on Hollywood, the Bythewoods were coming up, Love Jones was in theaters, Dancing in September was on HBO. Since that’s all we know, and what we know to be good - we’re like the rebirth of that, I think."

Introducing "Finding the New Black" Interview Series (with Lena Waithe)

• By Jasmin Tiggett
  • March 26, 2012 1:55 PM
  • 10 Comments
In the ongoing effort to introduce new and informative content here on S&A, it made sense to explore what can be called a new generation of talent within black film and TV. There are familiar names within this group – people like Dee Rees, Issa Rae, Barry Jenkins - whom we discuss often on this site. But there are still more that are doing work we should all be aware of.