By Tambay A. Obenson | Shadow and Act September 17, 2011 at 1:27AM
On the Abduction press tour, director John Singleton's been doing some talking...
First, he had this to say to The Playlist in Los Angeles:
“I can’t talk about it too prematurely about the stuff I’m doing because nothing’s come to fruition yet, but Cube and I are talking about doing the N.W.A. story... The script is really, really good, and so we’re just figuring it out. New Line really wants to make it.”
So, of course he's talking about the NWA biopic which Ice Cube and Matt Alvarez have long been talking about producing for their Cube Vision production shingle. Last we posted about this, Eazy-E's widow, Tomica Woods, who inherited his share of the song rights, was also producing, with New Line financing and distributing. Andrea Berloff, who wrote the screenplay to Oliver Stone's World Trade Center, was to pen the script. No director was attached at the time however.
From Singleton's comment, it looks like New Line is still involved, and he's has the *in* on taking the director's chair. We'll be watching this closer from here on.
Secondly, the LA Times caught up with Singleton on the red carpet during the film’s Hollywood premiere earlier this week, and the director said that a sequel to Abduction is definitely happening, and that they've been talking about doing it since the film was in production. So, even though the first one hasn't even opened yet, the studio obviously already thinks it'll be a box office hit, with Taylor Lautner as a potential next-gen Tom Cruise.
I already said that it's not on my to-see list, but I'll consider attending a press screening early next week, if there are any left.
Here's the red carpet video in which he talks about doing a sequel.