While the debate continues about the lack of, shall we say *color* amongst last night's Primetime Emmy Awards winners... Oprah Winfrey's OWN Network continues to make its own history, thanks to one Mr Tyler Perry.
Over 1.5 million people tuned in for Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse premiere on Oprah Winfrey's OWN Network last week.
The second episode (they aired back-to-back) did even better, drawing 1.6 million viewers.
The series led OWN to its most-watched Wednesday night in network history in total viewers and OWN ranked as the #3 cable network for the night in the key demo of women 25-54.
In addition, both episodes delivered triple digit growth in the time period versus their prior six-week average, and ranked as Top 10 cable shows on Wednesday night (W25-54).
Key Premiere Highlights courtesy of Nielsen:
For Better or Worse (Wednesday, September 18 at 9 p.m.)
· 1.23 W25-54 rating; 1.5 million total viewers
· +16% growth (W25-54) versus last season's average (TBS)
· #2 in the time period across all of cable (W25-54)
· Triple digit growth versus the prior six-week average (+102% W25-54)
For Better or Worse (Wednesday, September 18 at 9:30 p.m.)
· 1.29 W25-54 rating; 1.6 million total viewers
· +22% growth (W25-54) versus last season's average (TBS)
· #3 in the time period across all of cable (W25-54)
· Second episode built +6% from its 9 p.m. premiere in W25-54
· Triple digit growth versus the prior six-week average (+108% W25-54)
Will OWN one day be in consideration for Primetime Emmy Awards in the scripted drama or comedy series categories? Not with Tyler Perry's triple: For Better or Worse, The Haves And The Have Nots, as well as Love Thy Neighbor.
Although maybe OWN is probably most occupied these days with just staying afloat.