By Tambay A. Obenson | Shadow and Act January 9, 2014 at 3:50PM
As mentioned in a post yesterday, before the official announcement which I just received via press release, TV One is spinning off its popular and successful series Unsung, launching an offshoot titled Unsung Hollywood, which will premiere on February 26, 2014.
Unlike the network's successful Unsung, which is a music biography franchise (and which returns on January 29), Unsung Hollywood's focus will be on the stars of film and television primarily.
I can also now tell you what the series lineup will look like for the season, in addition to yesterday's post, which mentioned individual episodes on Pam Grier, Robin Harris, Kadeem Hardison, Dick Gregory, and Flip Wilson.
Unsung Hollywood episodes include:
· WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 10 PM/ET - Pam Grier
· WEDNESDAY, MARCH 5, 10PM/ET - Robin Harris
· WEDNESDAY, MARCH 12, 10PM/ET - What’s Happening!!
· WEDNESDAY, MARCH 19, 10PM/ET - Dick Gregory
· WEDNESDAY, MARCH 26, 10PM/ET - Flip Wilson
· WEDNESDAY, APRIL 2, 10PM/ET - Cooley High
· WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9, 10PM/ET - Bill Duke
· WEDNESDAY, APRIL 16, 10PM/ET - The Harlem Globetrotters
The spinoff will be narrated by Gary Anthony Williams, and as is the case with Unsung, episodes of Unsung Hollywood will include the usual talking head interviews and archival clips.
Preceding Unsung Hollywood’s debut in February, flagship series Unsung will return with all-new episodes beginning Wednesday, January 29 at 10PM/ET.
Unsung episodes include:
· WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 29, 10PM/ET - Too $hort
· WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 10PM/ET - The Manhattans
· WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 10 PM/ET - Gil Scott Heron
· WEDNESDAY, FEB 19, 10PM/ET - Nile Rodgers and Chic
“Taking a cue from the original, music-centric Unsung series, Unsung Hollywood fosters TV One’s overarching mission to highlight black artists, entertainers and programming,” said D’Angela Proctor, SVP of Programming and Production for TV One. “Unsung Hollywood recounts the achievements of some of the most beloved and groundbreaking artists in the African American creative community—all of whom have devoted their lives to making their mark in movies, television, comedy and sports—and in the process, have helped elevate and transform the entertainment experience.”
Unsung Hollywood is narrated by Gary Anthony Williams and is executive produced by Arthur Smith, Kent Weed, Mark Rowland and Frank Sinton of A. Smith & Co. Productions for TV One. Henry Schipper is Co-Executive Producer. Executive in charge of production for TV One is Robyn Greene Arrington, and producer for TV One is Lamar Chase.
Here's a preview of what's coming: