By Tambay A. Obenson | Shadow and Act January 30, 2012 at 12:16PM
Just in case you missed my coverage of *black films* that screened at the 2012 edition of the Sundance Film Festival, follow the links below (note: I didn't get to see every film on my list, most notably Sheldon Candis' LUV, due to scheduling conflicts and other problems; but I got the majority of them):
- Review of Spike Lee's Red Hook Summer - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-Red-Hook-Summer
- Review of Beasts Of The Southern Wild - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-beasts-of-the-southern-wild-a-striking-feature-debut-on-human-resiliency
- Review of An Oversimplification Of Her Beauty - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-an-oversimplification-of-her-beauty
- Review of Ava DuVernay's Middle Of Nowhere - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/5d2f9b00-4604-11e1-97b6-123138165f92
- Review of Detropia - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/436a50a0-451b-11e1-97b6-123138165f92
- Review of Slavery By Another Name - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-slavery-by-another-name
- Review of The Raid - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-the-raid-indonesian-actioner-delivers-relentless-bloody-brutality
- Review of 1/2 Revolution - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-1-2-revolution-a-visceral-documentation-of-the-egyptian-revolution
- Review of Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review
- Review of 2 Days In New York - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-review-2-days-in-new-york-familiar-but-still-engaging
- Middle of Nowhere acquired - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/ava-duvernays-2012-sundance-entry-middle-of-nowhere-jointly-acquired-by-affrm-participant-media
- Beasts Of The Southern Wild acquired - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-fox-searchlight-acquires-beasts-of-the-southern-wild
- 2 Days In New York acquired - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/magnolia-pictures-picks-up-julie-delpys-2-days-in-new-york-co-starring-chris-rock
- The Art Of Rap acquired - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/ice-ts-the-art-of-rap-acquired-for-theatrical-release-by-indomina
- Slavery By Another Name February PBS TV debut - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/watch-9-minute-preview-of-sam-pollards-slavery-by-another-name
- Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Detropia pick up trophies, Ava DuVernay makes history at Awards Ceremony - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/beasts-of-the-southern-wild-ava-duvernay-detropia-pick-up-trophies-at-sundance-2012-awards-celebration
- Fishing Without Nets wins Jury Short Film Award - http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/sundance-2012-fishing-without-nets-film-about-somali-pirates-told-from-pov-of-pirates-wins-jury-award
I think that about sums it up!
There were a few extra posts here and there, but those above really contain the meat of my coverage.
I'll end by saying that I actually had a much better time this year than last; the caliber of films was stronger and much more varied in terms of content and styler - those that I saw anyway (and not just the *black films*) - and I liked a lot more of them than I did of what I saw last year.
Unlike this time last year, when I wasn't sure if I'd be going to the festival this year, I'm definitely much more encouraged to attend in 2013.
Up next, the Pan African Film Festival, which starts next week; I'm looking forward to finally seeing that Toussaint L'Ouverture film which will make its stateside debut there, as well as Russ Parr's The Under Shepherd, High Chicago, Dark Girls, and several others.