By Tambay A. Obenson | Shadow and Act November 17, 2011 at 1:07PM
I wondered when he'd write up a formal reply to his ticked off fans... sure enough, he did a few days ago. Here's the meat, posted on his website, in a message to his millions of fans:
After I finished writing this movie, I sat back and re-read it. Half way through my read, the gravity of what I had written hit me. I knew that this message was not only for my age group, but for all audiences, especially the youth. ESPECIALLY THE YOUTH!! YOUNG FOLKS NEED TO SEE THIS!!! And not just the young people that follow me, but the young people that are following other young people, as well. I wanted a younger cast, that’s why I put Jurnee in the lead and invited Lance Gross, Robbie Jones and Brandy. About two months ago, long before I even heard about Kim’s marriage or divorce, I was trying to finish up the casting. I said to one of my producers, “who else is out there that young people are looking up to?” One of my producers showed me pictures that his daughter had taken of several hundred kids lined up around the corner to get into a Kardashian store. They wanted to meet Kim. I thought, what better person! She literally has millions of young people following her. I thought and still do think, that it would be very responsible of her to be a part of this film. To have the young people that look up to her, see her in a film that is about, what happens in life when you make the wrong choices. Whether you’re aware of it or not, to be honest with you I wasn’t, millions of young people adore her and are following her every move. If one of those young people see this film and find the strength to live a better life and not go through what these characters went through in this movie, then we have all done what I feel I’m being led to do here. I hope you understand. I really do! And lastly, because I believe that my films speak from the inside out, why wouldn’t Kim Kardashian be invited into a film about Faith, Forgiveness and the healing power of God? What is wrong with that??
So there ya have it folks. Case closed, or is the jury still out on this one?
I don't have a dog in this fight, so let's go to those who actually give a damn for comment... as in responses from his fans to his defence:
1. Marketing and Strategy is what this boils down to. You see, Tyler is the rolling with black people already, but if he can get the other side too, well, then he is really in the rolling. You see, black people forget to fast that, like politicians, entertainment works the same way, they only need the blacks to make the difference, but the money is when you can get both markets. I'll watch the movie on bootleg this go round instead of going to the movies.
2. I'm glad you are hearing your fans, but unfortunately you are not listening and that's what makes the difference. I am a big fan of your work, but unfortunately I will not be seeing this movie. In reading your reason for placing one of the no talented fake Kardashian (in my opinion) in your movie is not about teaching young people a lesson about what happens when you make the wrong choices, it's more about money. You gave it away yourself, because she has millions of young girls following her, then that makes her a better fit for your movie? Why again exactly? That's right, that means the millions of people f0llowing her, will be seeing your movie just to see her, which means more money for you and the Kardashian clan. I know there are far more better skilled/talented ACTRESSES that would've better for the job and you know it. Again, thanks for given me the opportunity to voice my opinion to you, because at the end of the day this is your movie and you are going to do it how you want.
3. Mr. Perry: Celebrate the holidays! Everyone else who's complaining: It's business. Everyone should be cheering and talking about Brandy and everyone else, especially the lead Jurnee Smollett, being in this movie instead of focusing on Kim K. and giving her more additional press than she deserves. Besides, Kim K. has made her fame on the backs (literally & figuratively) of black folks all these years, so as far as I'm concerned, turnabout is fair play. She never will have the chops to become a serious star, so all any movie producer can do is feature her in a cameo roll to attract her fan base. That's the case with this movie- she's in a small role- big deal. Spend your time celebrating the real talent that will be in "The Marriage Counselor" so Hollywood will know that we want to see them in more quality movies.
4. I hear you Tyler, and i hope it all goes well for yah...hope this particular movie doesn't tank...your body of work speaks for itself, BUT watch the numbers, they will tell you if it was a good move or not to cast this girl...I think all the criticism is not a personal attack or signals the end for you, I think it indicates the level of success of your movies and brand, you are a brand mister! Like all brands, you have an expectation to live up to; be mindful of that always. We'll talk on the other side after the flighting of this movie...keep it real always.
5. We all have things that we wish we could go back and make a different choice. Ms. Kardashian is no different. If having her in the film helps her and anyone who sees any of your films make better choices then praise GOD. Let your heart be at peace and when you feel those low times during the holidays do something to help someone else. I know the feeling. Im putting together dinners for those in need and it helps me to see my mother in the faces of other people and know that she is happy where she is because of the smiles that I see on other people. God Bless and keep the faith message going in your MOVIE MINISTRY.
LMBAO at anyone who really thinks having Kim K in the film will help her with *faith, forgiveness and healing* of some kind. Yeah, the kind of *faith, forgiveness and healing* only fame, publicity and a stash of greenbacks can buy.
Anyway, feel free to read his full *defense of Kim K.* HERE, as well as the myriad of comments that follow (it's really a mixed bag, both pro and con, from what the scanning I did).