VH1 has greenlit the Tyra Banks and Gay Rosenthal-produced docuseries TransAmerica (working title), chronicling a group of beautiful Chicago women united by the shared experience of being transgender. The series will follow these women as they navigate dating, family and professional ambitions on their own terms.
The 8-episode, 60-min series is scheduled to premiere in late 2014 or early 2015.
“‘TransAmerica’ is a groundbreaking docuseries that will blow the roof off stereotypes and set the record straight as we experience the lives of these fun, stunning women. I am so happy to be a part of telling their fierce story,” said Executive Producer Tyra Banks.
Meet the Cast:
- Signed to Elite Model Management, Carmen is on the path to becoming a supermodel. Recognized as a leading advocate in the transgender community, Carmen is constantly balancing her career goals with her personal life and reminding others of the importance of friendship. Now this Jersey girl is ready to take the Windy City by storm.
- A recent college graduate, Giselle is focused on continuing her education and applying to graduate school. As she prepares for her upcoming sexual reassignment surgery, Giselle is set on finding her perfect man in Chicago.
- Natalia is a beauty consultant for Christian Dior cosmetics. She is faced with the challenge of trying to reconnect with some of her family and gaining their support.
- Sidney is the ultimate party girl. Struggling with the idea of juggling a social life and professional goals, she is focused on finding her true direction in life.
- Victory dreams of becoming a doctor but must deal with the discrimination she receives as a transgender woman. Nevertheless, Victory won’t allow others to step in the way of her goals.
The series is executive produced by Tyra Banks for The Tyra Banks Company, Gay Rosenthal for Gay Rosenthal Productions and Mark Schulman for 3 Arts Entertainment.
Executive producers for VH1 are Susan Levison and Nina L. Diaz.