The Biennale di Venezia (the Venice Biennale, home of the Venice International Film Festival) has announced the launching of new initiative called Final Cut In Venice, dedicated to "supporting African films in the post-production phase," the press release states.
The program (in collaboration with the Festival International du Film d’Amiens and the Festival International de Film de Fribourg) will take place on the Lido di Venezia on August 29 at the 70th Venice International Film Festival, as part of the Venice Film Market.
During the Final Cut in Venice workshop, the work-in-progress copies of "four specially-selected African films in post-production" will be presented to an audience of producers, buyers, distributors and international festival programmers, to foster possible partnerships for co-production or access to the distribution market.
The workshop will end with the award of prizes "in kind or in cash," intended to financially support the films during the post-production phase:
· € 16,800 ($22,000) offered by Cinemage/Groupe Image (Paris) for digital colour correction, corresponding to 7 working days (56 hours, technician included);
· € 15,000 ($19,500) offered by Mactari Mixing Auditorium for the sound mixing;
· € 10,000 ($13,000) for post-production costs to be carried out in France, offered by CNC – Centre National du Cinéma et de l’Image Animée (Paris);
· A 35mm print (without subtitles) or the participation in the production costs of a DCP, offered by the Festival International de Film d’Amiens;
· A 35mm print (without subtitles) or the participation in the production costs of a DCP, offered by the Festival International de Film de Fribourg;
· € 6,000 ($7,700) for the production of the DCP master and the French subtitles, offered by Titra TVS (Paris).
The deadline for registration is June 28, 2013.
For further information you're asked to emaiI firstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of these primarily European "Africa Film Initiatives" have been introduced in recent years; worthy of a much closer look.