The first weekend of September marks the official end of the summer film season and, as always, looking back this past summer, there were winners and losers this season (including Sparkle
, which completely dropped out of the 12 top films of the week, in just two weeks).
But this is also the time for the traditional late summer doldrums, when the box office overall, takes a huge dip and doesn't recover for another 2 to 3 weeks.
But in the meantime, The Exorcist-type rip-off, The Possession, which has gotten better reviews than expected, did well.
However Lawless, which, in a sign of absoulte no confidence by the Weinstein Company, was slipped into the Labor Day slot, fared poorly.
Here's this week's list:
1) The Possession LGF $17,725,000
2) Lawless Wein. $9,674,000 Total: $11,816,000
3) The Expendables 2 LGF $8,800,000 Total:$66,159,000
4) The Bourne Legacy Uni. $7,248,000 Total:$96,247,000
5) ParaNorman Focus $6,551,000 Total:$38,025,000
6) The Odd Life of Timothy Green BV $6,055,000 Total:$35,900,000
7) The Dark Knight Rises WB $5,880,000 Total:$431,196,000
8) The Campaign WB $5,445,000 Total:$73,022,000
9) 2016 Obama's America RM $5,103,000 Total:$18,203,000
10) Hope Springs Sony $4,700,000 Total:$52,057,000
11) Premium Rush Sony $3,900,000 Total:$12,255,000
12) Hit and Run ORF $2,611,000 Total:$10,080,000