Of most importance to us is how Pariah
did this weekend in its limited opening engagements, and we'll get to that in a second.
But first, no surprise, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was No. 1 again this weekend, bringing the franchise and Tom Cruise's career back to life, pulling in over $300 million worldwide to date.
Other films, like Sherlock Holmes and We Bought A Zoo increased their box office totals significantly, and War Horse opened strongly as well.
But Pariah did extremely well in its very limited platform release this weekend, making almost $81,500 in only 4 theaters nationwide. The film expands to more theaters on January 6th, and strong word of mouth and solid reviews should help it pull in some solid numbers.
Here's this weekend's list:
1) Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol Par. $31,250,000 Total: $134,139,000
2)Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows WB $22,095,000 Total:$132,100,000
3) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked Fox $18,250,000 Total:$94,609,000
4) War Horse BV $16,940,000 Total: $42,969,000
5) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Sony $16,300,000 Total:$57,100,000
6) We Bought a Zoo Fox $14,300,000 Total:$41,787,000
7)The Adventures of Tintin Par. $12,000,000 Total:$47,841,000
8) New Year's Eve WB (NL) $6,741,000 Total:$46,372,000
9) The Darkest Hour Sum. $4,300,000 Total:$13,200,000
10)The Descendants FoxS $3,650,000 Total:$39,675,000
11) The Muppets BV $2,588,000 Total:$82,456,000
12) Hugo Par. $2,525,000 Total:$49,539,000
13) Young Adult Par. $2,200,000Total:$12,167,000