Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
, which wasn't screened to the media until at the very last minute, on Thursday night, in some out of the way places (usually a sure mark of quality), was No. 1 this weekend, with $19 million
Meanwhile, two other new relases, Parker and Movie 43, which wasn't screened at all to the media (speaking even more to quality), both tanked.
The Silver Linings Playbook (which personally I think is the most OVERated film this year, along with Argo - both of them are O.K. but not the best things since sliced bread as people would have you believe...but I digress) jumped up to No. 3.
On the international front, Django continues its winning streak in foreign markets, in the over 40 countries it has opened in so far, making, as of last week, amost $9 million in Germany, $8 million in France, $5.5 million in Russia, $4.5 million in the U.K., $1.2 million in Brazil and just over $50,000 in Nigeria.
More current overseas numbers to come later:
1) Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Par. $19,000,000
2) Mama Uni. $12,860,000 Total: $48,648,000
3) Silver Linings Playbook Wein. $10,000,000 Total: $69,465,000
4) Zero Dark Thirty Sony $9,800,000 Total: $69,904,000
5) Parker FD $7,000,000 -
6) Django Unchained Wein. $5,005,000 Total: $146,295,000
7) Movie 43 Rela. $5,000,000
8) Gangster Squad WB $4,200,000 Total: $39,647,000
9) Broken City Fox $4,000,000 Total: $15,270,000
10) Les Miserables Uni. $3,912,000 Total: $137,237,000
11) Lincoln BV $3,874,000 Total: $167,062,000
12) A Haunted House ORF $3,352,000 Total: $35,548,000