It was Django and singer Trey Songz head to head this weekend. The Unchained Vs. The Chainsaw.
It was Diango Unchained up against the only major opening on the first weekend of the year, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D, co-starring Songz (AKA Tremaine Aldon Neverson - With a real name like that I guess I would call myself Trey Songz too) in an esemble cast of Leatherface's victims.
And in a not so surprising win, Massacre beat Django for the No 1 slot with $23 million while Django came in second with just over $20 million.
Not surprising is that all the various Texas Chainsaw films over the past few years have done pretty well. But not to cry for Django, which as of today has grossed over $106 million and is definitely well on its way to grossing at least $150 million domestically, beating Quentin Tarantino's previous biggest box office hit Inglorious Basterds, which made $121 million domestically
Meanwhile, in other news, The Hobbit has gone well past the half billion mark in overseas box office grosses, while Skyfall has passed the $1 billion gross mark worldwide, making it the most successful James Bond film ever.
Here's this weekend's list
1) Texas Chainsaw 3D LGF $23,000,000
2) Django Unchained Wein. $20,082,000 Total: $106,351,000
3) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB $17,525,000 Total: $263,820,000
4) Les Miserables Uni. $16,117,000 Total: $103,605,000
5) Parental Guidance Fox $10,125,000 Total: $52,761,000
6) Jack Reacher Par. $9,300,000 Total: $64,804,000
7) This Is 40 Uni. $8,559,000 Total: $54,460,000
8) Lincoln BV $5,258,000 Total: $143,933,000
9) The Guilt Trip Par. $4,530,000 Total: $31,207,000
10) Promised Land Focus $4,312,000 Total: $4,661,000
11) Monsters, Inc. (3D) BV $3,923,000 Total: $27,916,000
12) Silver Linings Playbook Wein. $3,611,000 Total: $34,671,000