By Sergio | Shadow and Act May 13, 2012 at 1:45PM
It’s been a pretty slow weekend for news. No one is doing anything of note. But at least we still have the weekend box office report and, no surprise, The Avengers came out on top of the box office weekend figures, making over $100 million, and has now passed the $1 billion gross mark worldwide. The film is now the 11th highest grossing film of all time, worldwide, and will only go further up on the list. But it still has a way to go before beating the top two, Avatar and Titanic. Damn that James Cameron!
Dark Shadows underperformed, but was anyone really interested in seeing it? Maybe people are just tired of Johnny Depp doing his mascara-wearing weirdo bit. Getting kinda old. Problem is when he plays a more “normal” person like in The Tourist. no one wants to see that either. Whatcha gonna do?
But Think Like A Man had a much smaller drop off than expected, hanging on to No.3 with $82 million so far, becoming Rainforest Films’ biggest hit to date; and it looks like the film could possibility hit the $100 million mark.
1) The Avengers $103.2M Total: $373.2M
2) Dark Shadows $28.8M
3) Think Like a Man $6.3M Total: $82M
4) The Hunger Games $$4.4M Total: $387M
5) The Lucky One $4.05M Total: $53.7M
6) The Pirates! Band of Misfits $3.2M Total: $23.1M
7) The Five-Year Engagement $3.1M Total:$24.4M
8) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $2.65M Total:$3.72M
9) Chimpanzee $1.62M Total:$25.6M
10) Girl in Progress $1.35M