Filmgoers wanted to be grossed out this weekend with Evil Dead taking the top spot with $26 million.
The over-the-top gory remake of Sam Raimi’s original 1981 film performed well beyond expectations while last week’s No. 1 film G.I. Joe Retaliation came in second with $21.1 million.
The 3D reissue of Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park, which looked at first like it was going to be second this weekend, came in fourth with just over $18 million, while DreamWorks’ The Croods. still showing legs. coming in third, tying with G.I. Joe with $21.1 million.
But how did Tyler Perry’s Temptation do this weekend? As expected, it dropped by some 53% down to sixth place earning $10 million.
Usually Perry’s films take a significant drop during the second week of release, though over 50% is rather steep and goes back to the point I made last week that 1) people who really want to see his films usually come out the first week of release and/or 2) bad of word of mouth.
And during the past week, the film has been criticized many times for condoning rape and the whole final twist, which, even though it's been the source of outrage in several articles this past week, I still won’t reveal, since there are those out there who haven’t seen the film yet.
Whether those two factors were the cause of most of the negativity towards the film, you tell us.
1) Evil Dead TriS $26,000,000
3) G.I. Joe: Retaliation Par. $21,100,000 Total: $86,663,000
2) The Croods Fox $21,100,000 Total: $125,800,000
4) Jurassic Park 3D Uni. $18,247,000
5) Olympus Has Fallen FD $10,042,000 Total: $71,116,000
6) Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor LGF $10,000,000 Total: $38,383,000
7) Oz The Great and Powerful BV $8,171,000 Total: $212,767,000
8) The Host ORF $5,239,000 Total: $19,665,000
9) The Call TriS $3,500,000 Total: $45,481,000
10) Admission Focus $2,054,000 Total: $15,373,000
11) Spring Breakers A24 $1,200,000 Total: $12,645,000
12) Identity Thief Uni. $818,000 Total: $131,254,000