The film made a very impressive $80 million this weekend, far surpassing what had been orginally predicted.
On the opposite end Jack the Giant Slayer, a film no one really cares about, took a huge 63% dive from its 1st week.
And how do I know that no one cares about the film? Because, last week, in my Sunday box office report, I accidentally called the film Jack the Giant KILLER and no one noticed.
Also the lousy opening take for Dead Man Down starring Collin Farrell and Terrence Howard brings up a couple of questions.
Is Farrell a movie star? Has Farrell ever been a movie star? And considering Howard's recent claim that soon he'll be making $20 million a picture, the opening take of Down makes that even less certain wouldn't you say?
1) Oz The Great and Powerful BV $80,278,000
2) Jack the Giant Slayer WB (NL) $10,020,000 Total: $43,811,000
3) Identity Thief Uni. $6,319,000 Total:$116,530,000
4) Dead Man Down FD $5,350,000
5) Snitch LG/S $5,100,000 Total:$31,855,000
6) 21 and Over Rela. $5,056,000 Total:$16,840,000
7) Safe Haven Rela. $3,800,000 Total:$62,884,000
8) Silver Linings Playbook Wein. $3,745,000 Total:$120,749,000
9) Escape From Planet Earth Wein. $3,207,000 Total:$47,832,000
10) The Last Exorcism Part II CBS $3,120,000 Total:$12,083,000
11) A Good Day to Die Hard Fox $2,100,000 Total: $63,346,000
12) Life of Pi Fox $1,625,000 Total; $119,413,000