By Sergio | Shadow and Act May 1, 2011 at 3:26AM
As I've stated in my earlier post below Fast Five was, far and away, the box office champ this weekend, grossing over $83.5 million, and over $165 million worldwide, leaving everything else in the dust.
Disney's Prom bombed big time; and Scream 4 completely failed to deliver.
TP's Madea's Big Happy Family dropped 60%, which is somewhat an improvement from the originally projected 70% drop, but that's still a steep drop. Considering that he went back the the tired and true; after the critical and financial disappointment of For Colored Girls, it was assumed that this new Madea film would do better. It will, but not by that much. Has TP peaked? That's for another article one day.
WEEKEND B.O. (April 29 - May1):
1. Fast Five (Universal) Weekend $83.6M
2. Rio (Blue Sky/Fox) Weekend $14.4M, Cume $103.6M
3. Madea's Big Happy Family (Tyler Perry/Lionsgate) Weekend $10M, Cume $41M
4. Water For Elephants (Fox 2000/Fox) $9.1M, Estimated Cume $32.1M
5. Prom (Disney) Weekend $5M
6. Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs Evil 3D (Weinstein Co) Weekend $4.1M
7. Soul Surfer (FilmDistrict/Sony) Weekend $4.1M, Cume $33.7M
8. Insidious (FilmDistrict) Weekend $2.8M, Cume $48.4M
9. Hop (Universal) Weekend $2.2M, Cume $104.9M
10. Scream 4 (Miramax/Dimension/Weinstein Co) Weekend $2.1M, Cume $35.4M