Rise of the Planet of the Apes was No.1 this weekend; but, maybe not surprisingly, The Help came in a strong No.2, doing much better than projected. The film, which opened on Wednesday, has pulled in over $35 million. That's a solid opening for the very modestly-budgeted $25 million film, and it looks like it's well on it's way to make 90 million or more.
For those of you who liked the film (Don't be ashamed. I know you're out there; come on out) it's good news; but for those who hated, or just don't want to see the film (like me), look on the bright side - Viola Davis' "quote" (i.e. her fee per film) just went up significantly.
And you'll notice that Glee 3D didn't even make the top ten list, making a paltry $5.5 million; hopefully it means that, thankfully, people have had enough of that show:
1. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Weekend $2 , Cume $104.4M
2. The Help (DreamWorks/Disney) Weekend $25.7M, Cume $35.5M
3. Final Destination 5 - 3D (New Line/Warners) Weekend $18.4M4. The Smurfs (Sony) Weekend $13.5M, Cume $101.5M
5. 30 Minutes Or Less (Sony) Weekend $1
6. Cowboys & Aliens (DreamWorks/Universal) Estimated Weekend $7M, Estimated Cume $80.8M
7. Crazy, Stupid, Love (Warner Bros) Estimated Weekend $7M, Estimated Cume $55.3M
8. Captain America (Marvel/Disney/Paramount) Estimated Weekend $6.5M, Estimated Cume $156.2M
9. Harry Potter/Hallows Pt 2 (Warner Bros) Weekend $6.7M, Cume $356.8M
10. The Change-Up (Universal) Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $25.5M