By Sergio | Shadow and Act June 12, 2011 at 4:52AM
Super 8 (AKA How Come The Brother Always Has To Mess Things Up as I stated in an earlier post) did better than its projected $30 million, taking in $7 million more than that. But why do people insist on calling it an "original" movie when it copies everything from 1980's Steven Spielberg movies, and is a blatant homage to them? The film was even exec produced by Spielberg, and made by one of his protegees JJ Abrams. It's not like Abrams had to struggle for years to convince anyone to make the film, ya know?
Everything else holds on pretty well, including Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris , which is surprising people with it's box office strength, on its way to being his biggest money-maker in many years.
The rest below:
Weekend B.O. (June 10-12).
1. Super 8 (Bad Robot/Amblin/Paramount) Weekend $3
2. X-Men: First Class (Fox) Weekend $24.7M , Cume $98.6M
3. The Hangover Part II (Warner Bros) Weekend $18M, Cume $216M
4. Kung Fu Panda 2 (DWA/Paramount) Weekend $17.5M, Cume $128M
5. Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 (Disney) Weekend $11M, Cume $209M
6. Bridesmaids (Universal) Weekend $10.5M, Cume $12
7. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Weekend $6.5M, Cume $14.5M
8. Judy Moody (Relativity) Weekend $6M
9. Thor (Marvel/Paramount) Cume $2.4M, Cume $173.6M
10. Fast Five (Universal) Cume $1.7M, Cume $205M