By Sergio | Shadow and Act May 29, 2011 at 3:01AM
I'll get to Jumping The Broom in a second, but first, because of the 4 day Memorial Day holiday weekend, the final results will no doubt be slightly higher by Tuesday. But, no question that The Hangover Part II was far and away the big winner this weekend.
Just goes to show you how much I know. A friend predicted that the sequel would do over $200 million easy, and I disagreed, seeing how the sequel is an unfunny, lame carbon copy of the very funny first one. The same exact premise with the same exact jokes with the same exact beats - only this time you can see the punchlines coming from ten miles away.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Stranger Tides has now sailed past the half billion dollar mark worldwide, and Fast Five has grossed over $337 million globally.
Which bring us to Jumping The Broom, which has done very well, holding up against strong competition. But I now believe the film could have done even more, if it had been released in more theaters. The film opened on just over 2,000 screens nationwide. But what if the film had opened in another 1000-1200 theaters like all the other films that have come out in the past few weeks? I think we could have been seeing a $50 million gross or more right now. I think the studio cheated itself, or failed to truly realize the potential of the film, because it was a black film. What do you say?
1. The Hangover Part 2 (Legendary/Warner Bros) 3-day Weekend $85M
Estimated 4-day Memorial Holiday $105, Estimated 5-Day Cume $137M
2. Kung Fu Panda 2 3D (DWA Animation/Paramount) 3-Day Weekend $47.5M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $62M, Estimated 5-Day Cume $68M
3. Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 3D (Disney) Week 2 Estimated 3-Day Weekend $42M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $53M, Estimated Cume $166.5M
4. Bridesmaids (Universal) Week 3 Est 3-Day Weekend $16.2M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $21.5M, Estimated Cume $90M
5. Thor 3D (Marvel/Disney/Paramount Week) Est 3-Day Weekend $8.5M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $11M, Estimated Cume $161.3M
6. Fast Five (Universal) Est 3-Day Weekend $5.8M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $9M, Estimated Cume $198.4M
7. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Est 3-Day Weekend $1.7M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $2.6M, Estimated Cume $3.5M
8. Jumping The Broom (TriStar/Sony) Est 3-Day Weekend $1.8M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $2.5M, Estimated Cume $34.8M
9. Rio 3D (Blue Sky Studio/Fox) Est 3-Day Weekend $1.8M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $2.5M, Estimated Cume $135.5M
10. Priest 3D (Screen Gems/Sony) Est 3-Day Weekend $2M
Estimated 4-Day Memorial Holiday $2.3M, Estimated Cume $27.8M