Photo by IndieWIRE
Over the last few days, I've had a lot of conversations with people preparing for Sundance. Since I cover the buying and selling of rights, I noted the players' activities and have found the following numbers at play.
Of the Festival's 118 feature-length films, representing 29 countries by 40 first-time filmmakers, including 25 in competition which were selected from 3,812 feature-length film submissions composed of 1,943 U.S. and 1,869 international: 26 are directed by women ♀ 22% (up from last year).
+ 11 are repped by UTA
+ 11 have appeared first at IFP
+ 9 filmmakers have retained attorneys Donaldson & Callif
+ 8 are repped by Submarine
+ 7 are repped by CAA
+ 7 by Cinetic
+ 7 by Kevin Iwashina's Preferred Content
+ 5 by WME
+ 3 are repped by Paradigm
+ 3 by attorney George Rush
+ 3 by attorney Steven Beer of Greenberg Traurig
+ 2 by Traction Media
+ 2 by Cassian Elwes
+ Fox Searchlight and IFC each have 2 films
+ Gersh, Oscilliscope and ATO each have 1
+ Producers' Reps Ronna Wallace, Jonathan Dana, Ellen Pittleman, and Karol Martesko-Fenster each have 1.
+ The producers who have no rep as yet and are representing their own films number 22. (Hopefully they have attorneys.)
19 different international sales agents have films in the festival.
- Of those, 9 films have agencies representing U.S. rights.
- Two films already have U.S. distribution.
- Sales agents E1, Magnet, The Film Sales Co. and TrustNordisk have 3 films in the festival.
- Shoreline, Films Transit, The Match Factory, Protagonist and Passion have 2 films each.
- ISAs with one film each include Foresight, Metropolis, Elle Driver, Myriad, Arclight, Essential and they all have agencies repping U.S.
- E1, The Film Sales Co., Magnet, Hanway, Elephant Eye, and Fortissimo are negotiating U.S. on their own. Trust Nordisk shares one of its 3 films with WME.
The films the above are selling at Sundance will be detailed in my next blog entitled Sundance By Numbers #2. Stay tuned!!
>>Review: Thy Womb (Sinapupunan) http://t.co/FxvpJxl2AR via @sydneysbuzzPosted 6 hours ago
Review: Thy Womb (Sinapupunan) http://t.co/FxvpJxl2AR via @sydneysbuzzPosted 6 hours ago
Foreign Oscar Entry Review: Porcelain Horse (@Mejornohablard) | SydneysBuzz http://t.co/rmn4QT3STJPosted 10 hours ago
RT @CinemaTropical: Meet #Ecuador's Oscars entry: PORCELAIN HORSE (@Mejornohablard) by @JaviAndradeM via @indiewire / @sydneysbuzz http://t…Posted 10 hours ago