By Sydney Levine | Sydneys Buzz April 30, 2014 at 10:00AM
The submission period for the NHMC Television Writers Program is now open through July 31st, 2014. This is a great opportunity for Latino writers looking to get their foot in the door of the competitive Television business.
This initiative was created in 2003 and is an intensive scriptwriters workshop that prepares Latinos for writing jobs at the major television networks. Modeled after the previously successful Hispanic Film Project, the program is a direct response to the lack of diverse writers in primetime network TV.
The NHMC Writers Program was created in accordance with NHMC’s mission to improve media portrayals of American Latinos, and to increase the number of American Latinos employed in all facets of the media industry. An NHMC-commissioned national poll showed that non-Latinos primarily learn about our community from what they see on television . For this reason, NHMC works to get more Latinos in back of camera to achieve balanced and accurate portrayals of diversity in the U.S. According to the “ 2013 WGAW TV Staffing Brief”:
- Latino TV writers remain underrepresented by a factor of 4 to 1
- Although minorities make up 36.3% of the U.S. population, they remain underrepresented by a factor of nearly 5 to 1 among executive producers
- Nearly ⅓ of TV shows have no writers of color on staff
Since its inception eleven years ago:
- 110 writers have completed the NHMC TV Writers Program
- 28 writing careers have been launched
- 25% of NHMC Writers have been staffed on shows at the following networks: ABC/Disney, NBC, CBS,FOX, Nickelodeon, CW, BET, LATV, VH1 and NuvoTV
NHMC Writers are also participating in the following writers programs that serve as direct pipelines to jobs in the business:
- NBC Writers on the Verge
- Warner Bros. Writer’s Workshop
- Disney/ABC Writing Program
- CBS Writers Mentoring Program