39 titles were sold. See Anthony Kaufman's article on IndieWIRE which did not count the latest acquisition of ON THE ICE for which Coach 14 picked up international representation..
$30m in deals and P&A commitments is reportedly the level of business done.
Jonathan Dana says on February 1, 2011
As ever, keep in mind that all eventual deals do not necessarily get done at Sundance, and that many of the “unsold” films will find proper homes and ultimate success. The notion that a film must be sold quickly to be deemed ‘valuable’ is in itself a longstanding myth, or at least an oversimplification of a process that routinely takes time, especially when comparing ‘conventional’ offers with the more nuanced deals of the ‘distribution 2.0’ era. It was, I agree, a solid and fun Sundance, and I’m certain there will be more news to come.
WINNER OF THE MOST PRIZES: 3 prizes went to TYRANNOSAUR directed and written by Paddy Considine: World Cinema Directing Award: Dramatic Section and 2 World Cinema Special Jury Prizes: Dramatic Section for Breakout Performances presented to Olivia Colman and Peter Mullan for their roles.
6 FILMS PICKED UP BY INTERNATIONAL SALES AGENTS:
2 – COACH 14 picked up TERRI and ON THE ICE.
2-CONTENTFILM:KNUCKLE. HBO made a remake rights deal for a series based on Knuckle. GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD picked up for world sales from CAA.
1-CMG acquired worldwide rights to BUCK by Cindy Meehl ♀.
THE BIGGEST BUYER at the Festival:
Sundance Select, the sister company of IFC, acquired 5 films: KABOOM, UNCLE KENT, SEPTIEN, MAD BASTARDS, THESE AMAZING SHADOWS.
SECOND BIGGEST BUYER:
Fox Searchlight acquired 4 titles. Fox Searchlight paid about $2 million for the English language rights to ANOTHER EARTH, its fourth acquisition of the festival and said to have beaten out other mini-majors such as Focus Features and the Weinstein Co., both of whom pursued the picture. Fox Searchlight has already picked up HOMEWORK and MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, as well as remake rights to the Indian private eye documentary THE BENGALI DETECTIVE. The studio also premiered Tom McCarthy's WIN WIN and Miguel Arteta's CEDAR RAPIDS to critical acclaim.
The Weinstein Co. (TWC) who acquired THE DETAILS (CAA co-repped the picture) for a minimum guarantee of $7.5 million and a P&A commitment upwards of $10 million making it the largest minimum guarantee of the festival so far. MY IDIOT BROTHER (ISA: Hyde Park): was acquired for a MG between $6 million-$7 million and with a larger P&A commitment of around $15 million, the largest P&A commitment of the festival acquisitions.
UTA sold 10 of the 14 films they repped.
• I MELT WITH YOU (co-repped with Submarine) went to Magnolia for U.S.
• LIKE CRAZY winner of the Grand Jury Prize for Drama and the Special Jury Prize: Dramatic to Felicity Jones for her role. After playing in Premiere Section, it was the first in a major bidding war. Having asked $2M mg + $2M P&A, Paramount paid a $4 million minimum guarantee and a "substantial" 7-figure P&A commitment.
• MARGIN CALL (with ISA: Myriad) was picked up for North America by Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions.
• MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE acquired by Fox Searchlight for worldwide rights.
• MY IDIOT BROTHER (ISA: Hyde Park): Read the deal: Nikki Finke's Deadline. TWC’s deal for MY IDIOT BROTHER (between $6 million-$7 million m.g.) had a larger P&A commitment of around $15 million, the largest P&A commitment thus far.
• THE GUARD (ISA: Metropolis) was picked up for No. America by Sony Pictures Classics for 7 figures.
• SALVATION BOULEVARD (with ISA Arclight) went to IFC Films and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions for North America.
• THE DETAILS (CAA co-repped the picture) was acquired by The Weinstein Company for a minimum guarantee of $7.5 million and a P&A commitment upwards of $10 million making it the largest minimum guarantee of the festival so far.
• THE FUTURE (Roadside Attractions)
• THE SON OF NO ONE (Co-repped with WME, CASSIAN ELWES, ISA: Nu Image). Anchor Bay picked up U.S. rights for a $2 million minimum guarantee range a P&A commitment for 20 markets .
• UNSOLD: SING YOUR SONG (consultant Karol Martesko-Fenster)/ THE LIE/ THE SOUND OF MY VOICE/ FLYPAPER.
I Melt With You by Mark Pellington
7 of the 10 repped by CAA sold:
1. TAKE SHELTER picked up by SPC Pre-Sundance for multiple territories including Australia and New Zealand.
2. THE DEVIL’S DOUBLE (ISA: Corsan) (Co-rep with Paradigm Agency) sold to Lionsgate for U.S. and Icon for Australia and New Zealand.
3. THE DETAILS (Co-rep with United Talent Agency) went to The Weinstein Company.
4. THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD was sold to SPC for U.S. and to Contentfilm for world representation.
5. SILENT HOUSE: Liddell Entertainment acquired domestic and most worldwide rights for $3 million plus $3 million to P&A and is working with CAA to set a U.S. distributor./
6. KNUCKLE went to Contentfilm for international representation. HBO made a remake rights deal for a series to be based on Knuckle. CAA still reps U.S./
7. BELLFLOWER acquired by Oscilloscope for English language territories./
UNSOLD: ANOTHER HAPPY DAY directed and written by Sam Levinson was the Winner of the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award./ THE CONVINCER/ HIGHER GROUND.
6 of the 8 films repped by Josh Braun’s SUBMARINE sold:
1. PAGE ONE: A YEAR INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES Magnolia Pictures and Participant Media have partnered to purchase U.S. rights. Madman has acquired rights for Australia and New Zealand. Pretty Pictures has acquired rights for France./
2. THE LAST MOUNTAIN went to Dada for U.S. theatrical release June 3rd in the top 20 U.S. markets. MJ Peckos and her partner Steven Raphael have committed to a seven figure distribution budget. New Video has ancillary rights./
3. BUCK, winner of the Audience Award: Documentary, sold to Sundance Select for No. America and Madman for Australia and New Zealand. CMG acquired worldwide rights.
4. I MELT WITH YOU (ISA STEALTH MEDIA) went to Magnolia for U.S./
5. PROJECT NIM (winner World Cinema Directing Award: Documentary directed by James Marsh) was picked up by icon for worldwide sales and for U.K. and Australia and by HBO for U.S. pre-Sundance. Roadside Attractions will release the film theatrically.
6. CRIME AFTER CRIME was acquired by Oprah Winfrey's OWN for U.S. for six figures, and OWN will give the film a qualifying Oscar run before it airs on Oprah's new network.
UNSOLD:LETTERS FROM THE BIG MAN/ RESURRECT DEAD: THE MYSTERY OF THE TOYNBEE TILES Winner The Directing Award: Documentary, directed by Jon Foy / BEING ELMO: A PUPPETEER'S JOURNEY Winner Special Jury Prize: Documentary/
Project Nim (Winner World Cinema Directing Award: Documentary directed by James Marsh)
4 of the 7 repped by KEVIN IWASHINA'S PREFERRED CONTENT sold:
1. HOT COFFEE was picked up for No. America by HBO for mid to high six-figures. HBO licensed the film for broadcast and VOD for 2 years, and will give the film a qualifying Oscar theatrical run before it airs on the pay channel.
2. HERE went to K5 for international rights representation. K5 will also co-rep U.S. with Kevin Iwashina./
3. ANOTHER EARTH, with a budget of $150,000, was picked up by Fox Searchlight for about $2 million for English speaking territorial rights along with a strong P&A commitment, its fourth acquistion of the festival. Two days later it acquired worldwide rights for another $1 million and is holding screenings for international distributors in L.A. Friday Winner of Special Jury Prize: Dramatic as well as the recipient of this year’s Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize. The Prize, which carries a $20,000 cash award by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is presented to an outstanding feature film focusing on science or technology as a theme, or depicting a scientist, engineer, or mathematician as a major character./
4. THE LEDGE was acquired by IFC for North America
UNSOLD: LITTLE BIRDS/ MISS REPRESENTATION/ JESS + MOSS
Miss Representation by Jennifer Siebel Newsom ♀
3 or the 4 repped by PARADIGM sold:
1. THESE AMAZING SHADOWS was picked up for U.S. by IFC's sister company Sundance Select/
2. CIRCUMSTANCE (ISA: Funny Balloons), directed and written by Maryam Keshavarz ♀ , Winner of the Audience Award: Dramatic, was picked up by Participant Media for North America./
3. PAGE ONE: A YEAR INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES went to Participant and Magnolia for U.S.. Paradigm represented the filmmakers./ THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE (ISA: Corsan, co-repped with CAA), sold to Lionsgate for U.S. and Icon for Australia and New Zealand.
UNSOLD: BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST (Co-repped with Steven Beer).
3 out of 4 repped by WME sold:
1. CORMAN'S WORLD: EXPLOITS OF A HOLLYWOOD REBEL picked up by A&E for U.S. Pre- Sundance.
2. PERFECT SENSE was picked up for English speaking territories by IFC Films for $1 million. (ISA: Trust Nordisk)
3. THE SON OF NO ONE (Co-repped with UTA, CASSIAN ELWES and ISA: Nu Image) picked up for U.S. by Anchor Bay.
2 sold of 2 repped by CASSIAN ELWES sold:
1. MARGIN CALL (ISA: Myriad)/
2. THE SON OF NO ONE (Co-repped by WME, UTA, ISA: Nu Image) picked up for U.S. by Anchor Bay.
2 out of 3 repped by attorney GEORGE RUSH sold:
1. SEPTIEN was picked up for U.S. by IFC's sister company Sundance Select
2. !WOMEN ART REVOLUTION (ISA: Films Transit) acquired by Zeitgeist prior to Sundance.
UNSOLD: THE OFF HOURS
1 of 8 repped by CINETIC sold:
1. PARIAH directed and written by Dee Rees ♀ was picked up for worldwide representation by Focus for some 7 figure amount. The acquisition includes a deal for Rees to write and direct a feature for Focus, which has been the object of some speculation given their new ownership under Comcast’s NBC Universal. It also won Excellence in Cinematography Award: Dramatic: cinematographer: Bradford Young./
UNSOLD: THE BLACK POWER MIXTAPE 1967-1975 Winner of World Cinema Documentary Editing Award/ HELL AND BACK AGAIN directed by Danfung Dennis was 2 PRIZE WINNER: Winner of World Cinema Jury Prize: Documentary and Winner of World Cinema Cinematography Award: Documentary: cinematographer: Danfung Dennis/ THE CATECHISM CATACLYSM/ MAGIC TRIP/ RED STATE/ REAGAN / THE WOMAN (ISA: Peace Arch)
0 of the 3 repped by GREENBERG TRAURIG/ STEVEN BEER sold:
UNSOLD: ALL YOUR DEAD ONES (ISA: Shoreline) Winner of World Cinema Cinematography Award: Dramatic/ PRAIRIE LOVE/ BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST (Co-repped with Paradigm)
1 of the 3 repped by producer rep KAROL MARTESKO - FENSTER sold:
1. THE BENGALI DETECTIVE. Fox Searchlight acquired worldwide remake rights to the original feature documentary. International rights went to E1.
UNSOLD: SING YOUR SONG with UTA repping/ HELL AND BACK AGAIN directed by Danfung Dennis was 2 PRIZE WINNER: Winner of World Cinema Jury Prize: Documentary and Winner of World Cinema Cinematography Award: Documentary: cinematographer: Danfung Dennis.
GUN HILL ROADby Rashaad Ernesto Green was picked up by start-up distributor Motion Film Group for worldwide rights. A seven-figure deal will see "Road" hit theaters in early summer, 2011./ RESTLESS CITY
Restless City by Andrew Dosunmup>
1 sold of 1 repped by ICM - Most worldwide rights to HOMEWORK, a debut film in Dramatic Competition were picked up by Fox Searchlight. ISA: Goldcrest retains other rights.
2 repped and still unsold by TRACTION MEDIA:
KINYARWANDA Winner World Cinema Audience Award: Dramatic/ FLYPAPER
1 unsold of 1 repped by THE FILM COLLABORATIVE:
SHUT UP LITTLE MAN! AN AUDIO MISADVENTURE.
1 unsold of 1 repped by OSCILLISOPE: MEEK'S CUTOFF
1 unsold of 1 repped by PRODUCER REP JONATHAN DANA: WE WERE HERE
1 unsold of 1 repped by PRODUCER REP ELLEN PITTLEMAN: AN AFRICAN ELECTION
An African Election by Jarreth Merz
THE FLAWwas acquired for U.S. by New Video and plans a limited theatrical run and then release on DVD, VOD and digital platforms.
CONNECTED: AN AUTOBLOGOGRAPHY ABOUT LOVE, DEATH AND TECHNOLOGY by Tiffany Schlain, producer (The Tribe),: International rights were acquired just before Sundance by Annie Roney’s Ro’co, an international sales agent of documentaries who also acquires docs for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN (she has acquired 7 of the 9 own has thus far acquired by OWN who acquired BECOMING CHAZ on its own just prior to sundance.
STILL UNSOLD BY PRODUCERS:
GRANITO by Pamela Yates/ Skylight
THE GREEN WAVE
SENNA Winner World Cinema Audience Award: Documentary.
RESTORATION Winner of World Cinema Screenwriting Award directed by Yossi Madmony and written by Erez Kav-El.
TICKET TO PARADISE
CODEPENDENT LESBIAN SPACE ALIEN SEEKS SAME
HOW TO DIE IN OREGONWinner of the Grand Jury Prize: Documentary.
ABRAXAS By Bitter End, production co. and Japanese distributor.
A FEW DAYS OF RESPITE
IF A TREE FALLS: A STORY OF THE EARTH LIBERATION FRONT Winner of Documentary Editing Award.
FAMILY PORTRAIT IN BLACK AND WHITE
ISA (INTERNATIONAL SALES AGENTS)
• 26 different ISAs have films in the festival.
• 12 films have U.S. rights being represented by talent agencies who are involved either through financing or through attached talent.
• 4 films already had U.S. distribution.
3-E1: MAD BASTARDS picked up by Sundance Select./ THE SALESMAN/ INCENDIES. SPC has U.S.
3-MAGNET: THE TROLL HUNTER/ HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN/ I SAW THE DEVIL
3-PROTAGONIST/: TYRANNOSAUR directed and written by Paddy Considine, Winner of the World Cinema Directing Award: Dramatic and of 2 World Cinema Special Jury Prizes: Dramatic for Breakout Performances were presented to Olivia Colman and Peter Mullan for their roles. 3 PRIZES/ SUBMARINE/ (TWC HAS U.S.)
3-THE FILM SALES CO: to.get.her, Winner of Best of NEXT!: Audience Award, directed and written by Erica Dunton ♀./ THE BENGALI DETECTIVE - Fox Searchlight acquired worldwide remake rights to the original feature documentary./ THE REDEMPTION OF GENERAL BUTT NAKED Winner of Excellence in Cinematography Award: Documentary,directed by Eric Strauss and Daniele Anastasion; cinematographers: Eric Strauss, Ryan Hill and Peter Hutchens
3-TRUSTNORDISK: HAPPY, HAPPY (Sykt Lykkelig) directed by Anne Sewitsky ♀ won the World Cinema Jury Prize: Dramatic Section/ IN A BETTER WORLD (SPC has U.S.) by Suzanne Bier ♀./ PERFECT SENSE was sold by WME to IFC Films for English speaking territories for $1 million.
2-FILMS TRANSIT/ !WOMEN ART REVOLUTION. Attorney George Rush also representing. Zeitgeist has U.S./ POSITION AMONG THE STARS (Stand van de Sterren) Winner of World Cinema Special Jury Prize: Documentary.
2-PASSION : GRAB/ / BECOMING CHAZwas picked up January 13 by OWN. Both docs are produced by Worlds Of Wonder.
2- SHORELINE: THE CINEMA HOLD-UP (ASALTO AL CINE)/ ALL YOUR DEAD ONES (TODOS TUS MUERTOS) was the Winner of World Cinema Cinematography Award: Dramatic. Both were picked up just before Sundance after being seen at San Sebastian as Works-In-Progress.
1 - ARCLIGHT: SALVATION BOULEVARD went to IFC Films and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions for North America.
1 - CACTUS 3: THE NINE MUSES
1-ELEPHANT EYE: OLD CATS
1-ELLE DRIVER: SILENT HOUSE: Liddell Entertainment acquired domestic and most worldwide rights for $3 million plus $3 million to P&A and is working with CAA to set a U.S. distributor.
1-ESSENTIAL/ THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED U.S. picked up by Roadside Attractions before Sundance.
1-HANWAY: LIFE IN A DAY picked up by National Geographic and You Tube.
1-HYDE PARK: MY IDIOT BROTHERThe Weinstein Company's deal for North America will amount to a minimum guarantee of $6 million-$7 million, and a $15 million P&A commitment for a wide theatrical release.
1-ICON picked up worldwide rights to PROJECT NIM (winner World Cinema Directing Award: Documentary directed by James Marsh) along with U.K. and Australia just prior to Sundance as did HBO for U.S. Submarine continues to co-rep.
1-METROPOLIS:THE GUARD was picked up for No. America by Sony Pictures Classics for 7 figures.
1-MYRIAD: MARGIN CALL. UTA and CASSIAN ELWES rep U.S.: Picked up for North America by Lionsgate and Roadside Attraction.
1-PEACE ARCH: THE WOMAN. Cinetic reps U.S.
1-STEALTH MEDIA:I MELT WITH YOU
1-THE MATCH FACTORY: THE FUTURE was picked up by Roadside Attractions for U.S./ ATTENBERG
1-WIDE: THE MILL AND THE CROSS
1-FUNNY BALLOONS: CIRCUMSTANCE - No. American rights picked up by Participant. Winner Audience Award: Dramatic.
1-CORSAN: THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE sold to Lionsgate for U.S.
RT @MuSiCh4Film: Am part of a guided tour of the #Cannes2013 festival with #SydneyLevine of @indiewire's @sydneysbuzz. http://t.co/UcYCD0pNBgPosted 5 days ago
Am part of a guided tour of the #Cannes2013 festival with #SydneyLevine of @indiewire's @sydneysbuzz. http://t.co/UcYCD0pNBgPosted 6 days ago
Sydney@sydneysbuzz says... http://t.co/JinVkrsGpKPosted 6 days ago