By Ted Hope | Hope for Film March 8, 2011 at 1:15AM
Last week I went into some of the factors determining how the Model for IndieFilmFinanceV2011.1 may be set. Previously, over at my old home, I spent some time trying to better define that model. If you were taking notes you probably recognized that what follows below ARE a the key factors, but I thought it was worth jotting them down for our cheat sheets:
What Ten Factors Are Needed To Get Your Film Financed By Something Other Than Love Or Insanity:
1. Price point / negative cost below $5M;
2. "Estimated" Foreign Value at 80% or higher of negative costs;
3. Track record of collaborators in US Acquisition market to project 25% of negative costs;
4. Utilization of Soft Money/Tax Benefits as revenue -- not enhancement;
5. Manufacture desire: inject freshness & an ability to cut through the noise;
6. Predetermined & Accessible Audience;
7. Aura Of Inevitability= Polished Script+Show Reel or Look Book + _________?
8. Urgency of the deal;
9. Something old (proven genre)
10. Something new (fresh scent).
What does this all add up to? Is there a formula we can use? I think so. Why don't we just get to that another day? Stay tuned.... Much more to come on this subject.