Themes resonate with communities. Communities congregate around common themes. Communities endure whereas films perish at a certain point in time. Community interest can revive forgotten works. Many different communities are vested in similar themes. Common interests between creators, financiers, and promotional entities can exist within the themes of work.
Could new sponsorship opportunities for ambitious work exist within the common interest of common themes?
If we identify common themes found in indie film, and then identify what films have those very themes, perhaps the other entities that are vested in the themes can help support those works.
Why don't we start with the common themes... What are the common themes found currently in Indie Film? I tweeted this question out a couple weeks back and was a bit disheartened by the limited amount of comments it generated. Nonetheless I received a few suggestions to add to my list (so thanks for that). Perhaps you can add to this now.
1. Triumph over adversity; you can do it;
2. Family is where you find it;
3. Difference is universal;
4. Tolerance/Forgiveness will teach us all; aka Open your heart;
5. Be yourself;
6. Take action; move on; just do it; don't sit on the fence; make a tough choice; don't wait until tomorrow.
7. Don't settle; Raise the bar; Aim higher; dream the dream;
8. Build it and they will come; dream the dream;
9. Life is hard but our family & friends get us through it;
10. Don't mess with mother nature. (via
11. "There's hope, but it's not where you think it is." (via Mindi White)
12. "Love Hurts" (via @flixfixer). Love saves. Love tranfsorms.
13. "Revenge is all-consuming" (via @flixfixer)
14. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" (via @flixfixer)
Get the latest headlines from Hope for Film delivered to your inbox every day.