By Peter Knegt | The Lost Boys June 27, 2012 at 3:29PM
"Magic Mike" finally opens Friday, and I haven't been this curious about studio box office in some time. There's really been nothing like it before in the mainstream marketplace, and reviews and interest have been way stronger than any of us would have expected a few months ago.
Fandango sent out an alert today that said the following:
Fandango reports that the Channing Tatum male stripper movie, “Magic Mike”, is #1 in today’s ticket sales, representing 53% of all sales on Fandango on Wednesday. In a survey conducted Tuesday on the site with more than 1,000 respondents, Fandango found the following:
· 87% are planning to see it with a group of women;
· 81% are 25-49 years old;
· 82% plan to see it opening weekend
· 78% said that “Magic Mike” is the summer movie they’re most excited to see on the big screen;
· 77% feel that female-skewing movies have been lacking in Hollywood;
· 68% are planning to attend some kind of get-together before or after the movie.
This sounds very "Sex and the City" to me, which managed $57,038,404 in its first weekend followed by a massive drop the next. Mind you, "Magic Mike" does not have the obsessive built in fan base of "SATC," so expecting that number is extraordinarily optimistic.
But a $40 million+ opening seems very likely, and for a film about male strippers that cost $5 million to make... That would be astounding. I for one will be there opening night, which is something I pretty much have only done in the summer for "Prometheus" or films about Batman directed by Christopher Nolan... or, yes, "Sex and the City."