It's likely in the end that "The Hunger Games" will end up 2nd on this list in no time -- and it should join the $200 million club by this weekend for certain.
But wanna know something extremely fucked up? For these 12 films, there are 105 films with men in lead roles that grossed $200 million or more. Not to mention quite a few of these -- "Titanic," "Twister," "Ghost," even the "Twilight" movies -- are really films with co-lead performances of both sexes. Johnny Depp is also the top-billed performance of "Alice in Wonderland," even if Mia Wasikowska is the real lead. And two of them are animated films, though I In a way, that leaves "The Blind Side" as the true #1 here, with "The Hunger Games" soon to surpass it. Hey, and then there's the this: NOT ONE OF THEM IS DIRECTED BY A WOMAN.
The odds are disturbingly set to ever be in favor of male actors, male directors and male audiences...
1. Titanic (1997): $600.8 million
2. Alice in Wonderland (2010): $334.1 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010): $300.5 million
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009): $296.6 million
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 (2011): $281.3 million
6. The Blind Side (2009): $256.0 million
7. Twister (1996): $241.7 million
8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): $241.4 million
9. The Exorcist (1973): $232.9 million
10. Beauty and the Beast (1991): $218.6 million
11. Ghost (1990): $217.6 million
12. Tangled (2000): $200.8 million
Get the latest headlines from The Lost Boys delivered to your inbox every day.
@theaafca @ew @JessCagleEW @BuzzFeedNews @peterknegt @APEntertainment @APSandyPosted 4 hours ago
#FF @NickJRobinson @PadmaLakshmi @paolocase @PasteMagazine @pattonoswalt @pbsgwen @peeweeherman @peterknegt @phillipstribune @politicorogerPosted 11 hours ago
@SamRS72 @filmactually As @peterknegt wrote earlier today, Noprah!Posted 1 day ago
What's YOUR happiest Globe moment? “@peterknegt: The Golden Globes really hate The Butler”Posted 1 day ago