Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Could Bill Murray & Keira Knightley Be Oscar Winners? We Prematurely Predict Best Actor & Actress At The 2013 Academy Awards

Features
by Oliver Lyttelton
March 2, 2012 11:58 AM
86 Comments
  • |

Possibilities

Sandra Bullock - "Gravity"
No actress in 2012 has to face a tougher physical challenge than Sandra Bullock in Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity" -- the 2010 Oscar-winner has to carry the vast majority of the film on her own, acting mostly against CGI, while being suspended in an approximation of zero-gravity, in a spacesuit. There's no reason to think she won't be able to pull the part off: the big question is, will Academy members be able to get past the genre nature of the film?

Carey Mulligan - "The Great Gatsby"
Since breaking out in "An Education" (for which she was nominated for Best Actress), Carey Mulligan has turned in excellent performances in everything from "Never Let Me Go" to "Shame," but further Oscar gold hasn't followed. But if ever a part could give her another chance, it's Daisy, the love of Jay Gatsby's life, in "The Great Gatsby." If she wasn't already the most sought-after actress in Hollywood, it's the kind of part that would make her so, and no one's doubting her skills at this point. It's possible that she might campaign in Supporting Actress, but given that she has a good chance there too, for The Coen Brothers' "Inside Llewyn Davis," we imagine she'll want to spread the love.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead - "Smashed"
While alcoholism drama "Smashed" didn't quite get the same buzz as fellow Sundance hit "The Surrogate," it got very enthusiastic reviews, most notably for lead, "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" star Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who carries the picture as a schoolteacher trying to kick the bottle. With Sony Pictures Classics, who took Carey Mulligan and Anne Hathaway to nominations in the last few years, picking the movie up, this could gain momentum as the year goes on, if the critics in general match the Park City enthusiasm. All that being said, she's a brand-new name in Academy circles, which may not help against familiar faces like Knightley and Linney.

Rachel McAdams - "Untitled Terrence Malick Project"
As we said above, Terrence Malick has not, as yet, led to any actors getting an Oscar nomination. But from what little we know about his next, which seemingly focuses on good old-fashioned affairs of the heart, it might be more relatable to Oscar voters. And Rachel McAdams might be the biggest beneficiary of that. That is if she's given more to do than Jessica Chastain in "The Tree of Life," and if the film actually comes out in 2012.

Free Indie Movies and Documentaries

86 Comments

• En | April 22, 2012 10:53 PMReply

I think Keira Knightley is the best actress. Her work in Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy was incredible.

• Mark | April 19, 2012 1:39 PMReply

Malick's film Breaking the Waves earned a Best Actress nomination for Emily Watson. Do your homework.

• Oliver Lyttelton | April 23, 2012 11:35 AM

Terrence Malick didn't direct Breaking The Waves, Lars Von Trier did. Do yours.

• Laurie Mann | April 9, 2012 3:58 PMReply

I thought Jennifer Lawrence's performance in The Hunger Games was very good - strongly reminiscent of her Oscar-nominated performance in Winter's Bone a few years ago. I've also enjoyed seeing the evolution of Kiera Knightley's acting ability over the last few years, so if she pulls off Anna Kerenina, good for her.

• Ed | April 6, 2012 8:35 AMReply

What do you think about Scarlett Johansson's Oscar chances for Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin"?
    Glazer directed great acting showcases for Ben Kingsley ("Sexy Beast") and for Nicole Kidman ("Birth") and since Johansson got snubed by the Academy a couple of times ("Lost In Translation", "Girl With Pearl Earring" and "Match Point") and she seems to have a career comeback...

• lala | April 5, 2012 12:28 PMReply

I think murray will end up like dicaprio did last year.

• Sarthak | March 29, 2012 5:10 AMReply

u forgetting sally field for lincoln????? if the film works deres a chance it may get the best 5 oscars... spielberg has picked everything carefully...

• rokem | March 18, 2012 11:33 AMReply

better chance that ben stiller wins a oscar than bill murray winning a oscar.

• hr | March 14, 2012 3:53 PMReply

there's a genre bias working against teen films but the Perks of Being a Wallflower may prove the exception and the cast has some of the most promising talents in the business like Logan Lerman (who will dabble in drug use, sexual abuse, suicide, teen homosexuality and other dark teen issues), Emma Watson in a major post-HP role, Mae Whitman and Ezra Miller, exception in We Need to Talk About Kevin. The earlier Restricted rating now overturned on appeal to a PG-13 would indicate that they have stayed true to the tone of the book - it might surprise when it comes out in the fall

• CN | March 6, 2012 11:50 AMReply

I strongly agree with the Quvenzhane Wallis pick. Her performance has gotten as many raves out of Sundance as Helen Hunt's did for "The Surrogate". Wallis's performance has also been described as one of the best in recent juvenile history, so no, I wouldn't be shocked if she came into the competition as a "Dark Horse".

I'm also curious to see how Salma Hayek does in Oliver Stone's "Savages".

• Citizen K | March 12, 2012 4:26 AM

Saw a test screening of Savages in NJ. Hayek is fine but it's a small role and nothing flashy. None of the performances are stellar but they aren't bad either. They're all just good to great. Johnson was best in show IMO. Unless they do some drastic editing and add more scenes with Hayek, I highly doubt she's going to be in any awards conversation.

• Domi Arcangeli | March 6, 2012 11:19 AMReply

Gosh, I can only remember how disappointed I was when Helen Hunt won over Julie Christie's amazing, extraordinary turn in Robert Altman's/Alan Rudolph's "Afterglow" a decade ago!
    What an embarrassment!
    And in fact Helen Hunt did not do much since this new Sundance's movie "The Surrogate" all to be determined, if it will even be released yet or not!
    Same thing when Christie lost over Cotillard for "La vie en rose" while she was amazing in Sarah Polley's touching and simple "Away from Her" (for which she virtually won every other Award available,but the Damn Oscar!).
    Ok Christie nabbed Best Actress at 24 in 1965 for Schlesinger's existential morality tale of customs "Darling", but she is such a special Star, and Woman, I really hope she'll get Nominated again for Redford's "The Company you Keep" where she plays the key, haunting role of Mimi Lurie.
    And I hope she'll win again, because she's unique, and she does not walk the Red Carpets,wearing designers, to promote herself, she just needs to be in front of a Camera!
    That for me is real movie acting Royalty!

• john | March 5, 2012 5:39 AMReply

I would like Clint Eastwood win the oscar for best actor with Trouble With The Curve.

• Aaron | March 5, 2012 1:42 AMReply

Mightn't Helen Hunt be campaigned supporting in The Surrogate? Granted, I haven't seen the film, but from all the reviews I've read it seems that the film belongs to John Hawkes (I think he's a shoo-in). I really have no faith in The Great Gatsby, sorry. I love Carey Mulligan, but Baz Luhrmann is such an uneven film director and I just feel like he's going to screw this up like he did with Australia (and the film is being shot in 3-D. WTF?) I think if Knightley really wows then the Oscar is hers. It's such an iconic role and I have total faith in Joe Wright who is one of the best directors working today (robbed of a nomination for Atonement, and last year's Hanna was one of the best action/espionage flicks I've ever seen). Won't Back Down seems like sort of hokey material but I do think you could be right about Viola Davis. If there is continuous goodwill for her then she may land another Oscar nomination (but will the film receive ho-hum reviews?) And my wild card pick is Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games and Kristen Wiig for Imogene. I am not familiar with the source material for Hunger Games but word has it that Lawrence is EXCELLENT in the film and she's just coming off a recent Oscar nomination. If she can get past the genre bias then why not an Oscar nomination? And Kristen Wiig has a lot of goodwill after Bridesmaids and if Imogene really is a comic-tour-de-force, then I think she can pull off a nomination (and also Annette Bening for supporting actress who's supposed to have a scene-stealing role).

• Coleman Blythe | March 3, 2012 10:26 PMReply

You forgot all of the other actors in The Master. There is a lot of love for this picture already. Don't count out Noomy Rapace or Charlize Theron for Prometheus either. :)

• BayernMunichFan | March 3, 2012 12:41 PMReply

-Sandra Bullock
    -Mary Elizabeth Winstead
    -Helen Hunt
    -Laura Linney

• Prakshid | March 3, 2012 8:05 AMReply

Best Actor
    Daniel Day-Lewis - "Lincoln"
    Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Great Gatsby"
    Oscar Isaac - " Inside Llewyn Davis"
    Philip Seymour Hoffman - "The Master"
    Bill Murray - "Hyde Park On Hudson"

Best Actress
    Carey Mulligan - "The Great Gatsby"
    Anne Hathway - "Les Miserables"
    Meryl Streep - "Great Hope Springs"
    Keira Knightley - "Anna Karenina
    Laura Linney - "Hyde Park On Hudson"

• Prakshid | March 3, 2012 7:56 AMReply

What about Oscar Isaac in Inside Llewyn Davis ? I think he will be end up with Best Actor Nom.

• Genadijus | March 3, 2012 5:16 AMReply

Naomi Watts should be added to the prediction list for "Impossible". She deserves 2nd nomination.

• Crey | March 3, 2012 3:39 AMReply

I don't think Imogene will be nearly as good as Young Adult. I'm still pissed about that snub!

• Tammy2005 | March 3, 2012 1:27 AMReply

I'm 38 years old and I watched "The Haunted Airman" came out in 2006 on TV before Robert Pattinson even hit the Twi-hard tweens and I thought that movie was excellent! I didn't even really know who he was when I first started watching it until I realized he was in the HP film then I put 2 and 2 together. Then here comes "Twilight" now granted I READ ALL THE BOOKS before the movies were even made because the first series came out in 2005 then the movies weren't being made until 2008 and honestly everyone for awhile will always be thinking he can do nothing but sparkly vampire films and that's just not right. I've seen his acting even in his younger films as stated above and in 2007 "The Bad Mother's Handbook" was good also. He can act though he's "never' went to acting school. He is a very humble, pleasant, giving, open-minded to try any part as being an actor. I can guarantee you that if he was playing in the "Hunger Games" as Gale or Peeta and he got 'nominated for an Oscar we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. Because there's not a doubt in my mind if the roles were reversed while he would act in "HG" and then Josh Hutcherson or Liam Hemsworth did Twilight everyone would be saying the same thing about them.

What makes the difference "HOW OLD" you have to be to 'earn' the Oscar Shirley Temple won it when she was only 6 years old and there were bad comments made by people back then because they said you can't give a best actress oscar to a 6 year old! REALLY does it matter? Everyone has their opinions who they love or who they hate. I personally don't care for Bill Murrary and would rather much see Clint Eastwood to get it and of course he should of gotten it for doing "Gran Torino" that movie was beyond words I can't even explain.

Honestly Pattinson really doesn't care what type of movie it is as long as he can act even if the movie is a FLOP or a HIT he's that versatile. He just wants to act period and is thankful he can do so!

• Tammy2005 | March 3, 2012 1:41 AM

The Haunted Airman is based upon The Haunting of Toby Jugg who was injured in WWII. It's a very disturbing, beautifully made and satisfyingly chilling ghost story. Give Pattinson some credit folks and quit basing him off the Twilight stuff

• DnBstep | March 3, 2012 1:25 AMReply

Mary Elizabeth Winstead САМАЯ САМАЯ САМАЯ лучшая!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0 Love her!))))))))She's the best!))))))))))))

• EKKY | March 3, 2012 12:40 AMReply

Smashed for Winstead!!!!

• marilyn | March 2, 2012 8:35 PMReply

Ok on Rob - if you have watched 'Remember Me' and didn't like it, it's because you didn't get it = it's all about one line "Dessert first, because yeah never know", if everyone couldn get passed the 911 - which was the point, who new this would happen.. 'Water For Elephants' was good, great maybe not, but far more the Edward, 'Bel Ami' is gonna be a whole new side of Rob and time period peace and total dirt bag to woman, lol, and 'Cosmopolis' will be the one, Oscar actually I hope so, because if the acting comes across like the book and with the glory of Cronenberg directing, it will be great.. And if you have not seen 'Little Ashes' he was a fabulous wack job of a "Dali" quit looking at him as just Edward, thou I can't imagine anyone else being Edward, Robert Pattinson is far more then Edward Cullen

• Kedward Lullen | March 3, 2012 3:37 AM

I'm not sure if you're being serious because a) you are defending Remember Me b) so many grammatical errors c) you sound like a Twihard which by some transitive property means you have zero taste.

• Elaine Parkinson | March 2, 2012 7:01 PMReply

OMG ,I cannot believe all the Robert Pattinson Bashing going on on this page .,...what the hell ...Rob has admitted he never went to an Acting School and that he has virtually taught himself ....he has never professed to be one of the greast or or God forbid he or anyone else should ever say he is Oscar worthy ..but still all he gets is nothing but hate and bad mouthing on every level....he is a young guy who is trying his best to just get on in the industry as best he can...all he is guilty of is starring in a TEENAGERS film and he has nothing but grief for doing so ....I know he has made lots of Money for Twilight but surely there is no need for all this hate and animosity towards a lovely young man ....who is absolutley fabulous with his fans ...gracious ,..sweet and humble ....and NOT one person he has ever worked with has a bad thing to say about him....only positives about his commitment and dedication and fabulous work ethics....he may not be the most talented in some peoples eyes but his fans ( and I am one of his more mature supporters not a Twi Fan ) ...think he is amazing and talented ....and I will be a loyal and dedicated fan for as long as he carries on acting which I hope he never decides to gives up on!!!

• marilyn | March 2, 2012 8:39 PM

TY - Elaine
    He is not just EC and far more then a teenager hottie - I am 40 plus - I thinks he's gorgeous, humble and making his way into the hollywood and acting world.. He got cast in a total OMG series that has made him an iconic character, but that doesn't mean that is all he is... crap he was early 20's for HP and Twi he's 25 now taking on totally different roles and challenges...

• BJ | March 2, 2012 4:57 PMReply

A friend saw an advance screening of WON'T BACK DOWN and said it was AMAZING!
    Stupid comment about director and Beastly as he also directed the beautiful PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND. He is amazing with actors. I blame Beastly in cbs studios - heard they got in there and messed it all up.

• Honeybee | March 5, 2012 7:13 AM

@BJ Thanks for the post about Won't Back Down. Did the person who saw it say they consider Viola to be the lead in it?

• Ella | March 2, 2012 4:28 PMReply

Hugh Jackman should have been nominated twice - The Fountain and The Prestige but those movies are not "good-feeling" or "Oscar-bait" for the academics. So I hope he gets at least a nomination. There is one plus for him and Les Mis overall - unlike Nine, people cast in there actually can sing.

• Kanerwa | March 2, 2012 4:03 PMReply

Who will be the Oscar winner? Actors and movies promoted or produced by Weinstein brothers.So Pattinson haters don't have to be worry,Weinsteins will not promote Cosmopolis.Besides this movie can get NC-17 rating.And of course Cronenberg is one of those directors that Academy members ignore (he is not promoted enough).

• ad | March 2, 2012 3:31 PMReply

what about possibilities from among the young cast members of "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - it has Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Mae Whitman and host of others in a teen film about actual teen issues (homosexuality, teen suicide, drug use, sexual abuse)

• Cate | March 2, 2012 3:29 PMReply

Much as I hope they'll both stick the landing, I don't have the best feeling about either Gatsby or Les Mis. Baz is spectacularly hit-and-miss and the early promo stills for Gatsby, while pretty, didn't do much to assuage my misgivings. Still, if the whole thing comes together then Leo's going to have a hell of a shot. I'm not a fan of Hooper but I AM a fan of Les Mis and Hugh Jackman, so here's hoping that it will at least pay proper tribute to the show/not suck too egregiously. (Low expectations? Mais non...) Oh, and! All about the Andrea Riseborough train. She's just so good.

• maxime | March 2, 2012 3:16 PMReply

Robert Pattinson won't win an Oscar anytime soon. He knows that, the fans know that... As an untrained actor, he became too popular and big in a too short time, so they (critics) will give him a hard time before recognizing his eventual talent. Pitt, Depp were slammed too in the beginning of their career, it's kind of normal.
    I saw his new movie Bel ami and read all the reviews. It was the film debute of the directors and it shows that they're used to stage perfomances. Robert was only 23, an age that actors mostly play in teenmovies or romcoms. There was a month of rehearsals before shooting, so he learned to act the way the directors wanted him. For me he portrayed Georges Duroy very well and yes, of course I've read the French classic novel. There were bad reviews but, not surprisingly for me, the good reviews came from those who know the former work of the directors and those who are experted in the work of Guy de Maupassant. They praised the setting and the performances and I can only agree, I loved the movie very much. David Cronenberg had to convince Rob that he could pull of the difficult role of Eric Packer in Cosmopolis. While I respect the opinions of the posters here, I have more trust in the judgement of those who work with actors for a long time in the business. Wether or not you like Robert as an actor, fact is that crew and directors praise his humble, down-to-earth attitude and his great work ethics. Let's just see what the future brings. As he doesn't want to be a star in the spotlights, I suspect him to leave the big screen and work behind the scenes after some years.

• Greg | March 2, 2012 2:49 PMReply

If Mary E. Winstead's acting in Smashed is as superb as the critics have been claiming then I don't see why she can't get nominated just because she's not an academy darling, everyone has to start somewhere - even people like Meryl Streep.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 3:33 PM

I'm not writing her off; I think she could definitely get this year's young starlet/newbie slot (Andrea Riseborough doesn't stand a chance). However, you are missing my point - she has good reviews, but the buzz is not what it was for those actresses that I mentioned, and Olsen wasn't even nominated. So you're wrong when you say "strong buzz no matter how you slice it" - Beasts of a Southern Wild/Wallis and The Surrogate/Helen Hunt have much stronger buzz coming out of Sundance.

• Greg | March 2, 2012 3:28 PM

Well, the reviews have been praising her performance nonstop, that's more than just good, so that definitely counts as strong buzz no matter how you slice it, and that's just from the critics who saw her at Sundance, so there will be even more accolades for her when the movie is released. I really don't think you can write her off that quickly,

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 3:02 PM

To be fair, she did get very good reviews, but her buzz is nowhere near what it has been for previous Sundance darlings such as Olsen, Mulligan, Lawrence, Sidibe, etc.

• Roy | March 2, 2012 2:46 PMReply

Best Actor: Oscar Isaac will for SURE be nominated.
    Best Actress: I'm shocked Jessica Chastain isn't on this list, she is the female lead in Katheryn Bigelow's Bin Ladin movie...I'd say she's a shoe in.

• Rah-al | March 2, 2012 4:01 PM

Chastain is supporting as a reporter. She is listed as a contender in the other article predicting the supporting actor/actress categories.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 3:01 PM

How do you know she's lead?

• georgina | March 2, 2012 2:20 PMReply

You forget about Peter Jackson's "Hobbit", Martin Freeman might be an Oscar winner, there's also a chance for Michael Fassbender with his Irish hero in plans or with Steve McQueen project "12 years a slave" .

• mica | March 2, 2012 3:29 PM

Fassbender plays supporting role in "12 years a slave" + it has little chance to be relased this year, since it was probably moved filming to late summer. The Irish hero film will probably not start filming this year at all. The only film eligible for next years Oscars with Fassbender is Prometheus.

• Gino | March 2, 2012 2:17 PMReply

A friend of mine has seen a cut of The Silver Linings Playbook, and says it's some pretty dark stuff

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 3:01 PM

Did he/she say anything about the performances?

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 2:00 PMReply

Noooo Carey Mulligan CAN NOT be snubbed this year... again! It might hurt as bad as Charlize being snubbed. Again, Baz please do not f**** this up. I want the movie to soar and I want Mulligan and DiCaprio to win EVERYTHING! Everything, I tell ya!

• Rah-al | March 2, 2012 1:44 PMReply

With the MPAA throwing NC-17 ratings around The Surrogate could end up a victim killing John Hawkes and Helen Hunt's chances at a nomination. Didn't you predict Kiera Knightely for A Dangerous Method?

• Nik Grape | March 2, 2012 1:39 PMReply

I believe they will market Linney as Supporting for Hyde Park on Hudson. It looks like Murray's film through and through. I think Wallis has a better chance because the Academy loves to throw in surprises like that from youngsters (Gabby Sidilbe?). Also, I don't think Eastwood has such a good shot. The only acting nominations he got was when he directed himself, and he didn't even manage to get a nom for Gran Torino (his last "last performance"). Unless Les Mis completely tanks, Hugh Jackman should be a shoe-in here. Other than that, your predictions match mine exactly! It will be the battle of the presidents for the Actors and what looks to be a much more varied group of women for the Actress with Knightley perhaps getting her first Oscar? Time will tell.

• noe | March 2, 2012 1:39 PMReply

I'm sorry Robert Pattinson, since when can he act? You think Cronenberg can change that, it certainly didn't work for Knightley. She's got strong jaw acting.

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 4:58 PM

The only movie Knightley's jaw did the work in was Cronenberg's film and the role called for it. I agree with Danielle in that she has quite a range and has done a great job of immersing herself in each and every character. From Bend it Like Beckham to Atonement to Never Let Me Go... all performances worth rewarding, most of them left unrewarded.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 4:45 PM

How was her performance in Last Night crap? If it was any other popular young actress it would at least be considered charming, effortless, adorable, etc. Not to mention her chemistry with Canet was excellent. Her performance in that has nothing to do with her work in P&P, NLMG, or Atonement.

• Noe | March 2, 2012 4:34 PM

I don't hate her, just not fond of her acting. Even with a purpose it was distracting and didn't do anything for her performance. Certainly not Cronenberg's best work. Her performances are one in the same, imo. Last Night was crap, and so were most of the performances. Really only cared for Guillaume Canet.

• Kanerwa | March 2, 2012 4:13 PM

Since he started acting.

• danielle | March 2, 2012 3:00 PM

Well, if that's your attitude, then she's *never* going to convince you. You might as well admit that you want to hate her.

Her jaw is prominent, but the only time she has used it unnaturally is for A Dangerous Method, and that was for a purpose. Also, her performances in P&P, Atonement, NLMG, and Last Night are very different from one another.

• Noe | March 2, 2012 2:02 PM

Yeah, and that has yet to convince me of anything. She acts with her jaw, pretty much the same in all her movies.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 1:47 PM

Please don't compare Keira to Robert Pattinson. She HAS gotten wonderful reviews for many of her films.

• emma | March 2, 2012 1:35 PMReply

quote for KNIGHTLEY " she gets stronger and stronger each time around". Did you watch A dangerous method? she was terrible! Where is Cotillard on your list, you should consider her for LOW LIFE.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 1:50 PM

A lot of people disagree with you, although she was very divisive. There was a poll with all of the major critics and she was voted fifth best female performance or something like that.

• Twiceler | March 2, 2012 1:33 PMReply

Philip Seymour Hoffman for the Master and Sandra Bullock for Gravity. Mark my words.

• Cole | March 2, 2012 1:15 PMReply

Robert Pattinson? Oscar? Please, tell me you're kidding me.

• La | March 3, 2012 11:05 AM

The comparison between Robert Pattinson and Leonardo DiCaprio is patently ridiculous. Leo was a respected actor right out of the gate as a 17 year old in THIS BOY'S LIFE. He was nominated for an Oscar 2 years later for WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE. He also should have probably gotten a nom for MARVIN'S ROOM. Even after Titanic there never was a question that he was a talented and gifted actor. Pattinson has yet to prove he's even a competent actor. Remember Me was awful, Water for Elephants was a forgettable mess and the reviews for Bel Ami seem to indicate that he's just as stiff and wooden there as well. Cronenberg won't change that. Either you are a talented actor or you're not. He's not.

• ANAHI | March 3, 2012 4:03 AM

People used to hate on Leonardo Dicaprio for a lack of talent after the huge success of Titanic. It's like some people were embarrassed to even acknowledge his talent because the tons of screaming teens were saying he was great. People were so caught in the hype it was funny. Now look at him now. I don't know a single person who doesn't think he's one of the best actors out there, young or old. I think Robert Pattinson is in the same situation right now. Lots of people refuse to take him seriously because of Twilight but I see the same talent that I saw in Dicaprio. Pattinson could have used his current popularity, trying to get as much money as possible by shooting the movies his female fanbase would love, yet he's picky and instead of milking his romantic hero image, he has taken the hard road. IMO, it's just a matter of time before some big, respected movie makers approach him and he'll get a chance to fully demonstrate his talent.

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 5:01 PM

The Jonah Hill comparison doesn't stick. Moneyball was Hill's first drama. BUT even on a pure comedy front, Hill proved to be a fantastic comedic actor. He thrived in both genres. Pattinson has yet to prove to be anything more than an attractive face that can mutter a few lines. I'm not doubting his potential entirely but his choice of films are not helping the cause... Remember Me was borderline awful, Water for Elephants was only worth watching for Waltz, and the reviews for Bel Ami signify that Pattinson hasn't really matured as an actor... same ol' stiff line readings, same ol' pretty face.

• Kim | March 2, 2012 2:48 PM

I haven't seen Bel Ami or Remember Me, so I can't pass comment. I have seen Water for Elephants, and for what it's worth, I thought he did a good job.

• Cole | March 2, 2012 2:37 PM

Ha, at least, Hill only did comedies for the most part of his career, he had never tried drama. Pattinson, on the other hand, keeps trying to convice everyone he can act with dramas like remember me, bel ami, water for elephants and he never succeeds(despite his fangirls passing them as "amazing" acting).

• Kim | March 2, 2012 1:35 PM

Would you have said Jonah Hill and Oscar in the same sentence this time last year?

• Dan | March 2, 2012 1:07 PMReply

Seems odd you don't have Oscar Isaac anywhere for "Inside Llewyn Davis" I mean he's the lead in a new Coen Brothers film.

• Rah-al | March 2, 2012 3:43 PM

@Dan
    Sorry about that man. I meant to reply to the post above yours re: Robert Pattinson. It's ridiculous to place Pattinson's name on the list but leave out a solid actor like Oscar Isaac in a Coen Brothers movie. It should be a big break out role for Isaac.

• Dan | March 2, 2012 2:43 PM

My bad didn't read the last sentence

• Dan | March 2, 2012 2:32 PM

I'm talking about Oscar Issac in Inside Llewyn Davis not Jonah Hill or Robert Pattinson

• Ral-al | March 2, 2012 2:27 PM

Jonah Hill's nomination was Brad Pitt pulling him along with the voters. Still Jonah Hill can actually act even though mainly in comedies. Pattinson hasn't proven he can act in anything. Watching him try to convey emotion is painful. David Cronenberg can't change that. Oscar Isaac is who should be written as a contender or Ryan Gosling for 'Only God Forgives' not talentless Pattinson.

• cookiee | March 2, 2012 12:49 PMReply

Having read the script for chan wook parks "stoker" i think mia wasikowska is a strong contender in the best actress category. While i think nicole kidman is going to pick up a supporting nomination either for stoker or the paperboy. im calling it now!

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 2:01 PM

and by move to I clearly meant more***

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 2:01 PM

Mia needs to move awards love. Her turn in Jane Eyre was brilliant and unjustly overlooked. I would be fine with her getting Oscar noms left and right!

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 12:41 PMReply

It would be cool to see Carey and Keira nominated since they're not only two of the most talented of their age group but also good friends. Carey's best chance lies with Gatsby - you can find the script for Inside Llewyn Davis online, and not only does she play a toned down/ less dynamic version of Sissy, she has no more than 15 minutes of screen time.

Two huge contenders you're missing are Penelope Cruz for Venuto al mondo and Cotillard for either Low Life or Rust and Bone.

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 5:07 PM

Curious Danielle- do you think Carey is not attractive enough for the role? Yes, Daisy is described as a beauty and enough so that Gatsby puts his life on hold to pursue her but I think Carey can be incredibly attractive given the right hair style and color. She's blonde in this film which suits her best. She certainly has the acting chops. So, what's the big deal? I admit, I was hoping Rachel McAdams or Amber Heard would be cast on a purely physical level but McAdams hasn't really done much drama and I'm not sure if she has what it takes and the latter is much more bombshell than the role calls for. We shall see.

• Danielle | March 2, 2012 4:19 PM

It depends on how much of the movie focuses on the Daisy/Gatsby relationship or if Nick/Gatsby will have significant screen time without her. She's definitely supporting in the book, but Baz may have cut out a lot of material that she wasn't in.

I don't think she physically fits the role, but she's well-liked by critics and people in the industry and I'm sure she'll get good reviews.

• emma | March 2, 2012 1:58 PM

you're right about cruz too, but Carey should be lead or supporting for the great gatsby?

• JMP | March 2, 2012 1:08 PM

Danielle, hell no ! Knightley & Mulligan are not the most talented young actresses on screen. They are both incredibly boring. Besides, Carey looks atrocious and out of place in " The Great Gatsby" ( to be fair the whole cast looks out of place & awkward ). To be fair , I hear Mulligan is a gifted stage actress, but she has yet to impress me on screen.

I really believe Hugh Jackman will win his first Oscar nomination with " Les Miserables ." This guy has range , not always displayed on film ,but it has been displayed on stage. Jackman is one of the most well-liked actors in Hollywood , and he is known for being one of the most professional actors in movies ( he is like a male version of Sandra Bullock). Plus, no other A-list actor in Hollywood can touch his triple -threat performance skills ( not Day-Lewis, not Hoffman, not Hawkes, and not Murray). That will easily set him apart from the other nominees.

• Gian | March 2, 2012 12:35 PMReply

I just keep looking at the list of Best Actor predictions and am frankly awed. I'm just trying to imagine the caliber of performance that someone will need to break into that group. I don't think Eastwood will be there in the end but I can more than imagine you announcing this time next year that you went 4/5 in 2012.

• Anton Jacoves | March 2, 2012 12:14 PMReply

I feel like with Gatsby and Django this is Leo's year, possibly with Supporting for Django

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 5:09 PM

But she still got nominated. And DiCaprio could have easily split the vote in '07 but he was nominated for (the wrong) Blood Diamond over The Departed. Justice for Leo! Justice for Fassy! Justice for all!

• roy | March 2, 2012 2:49 PM

i don't know, that might split the vote. Much like Chastain this year, she had so many great performances that people didn't know which one to get behind.

• Oogle monster | March 2, 2012 2:05 PM