" composer Thomas Newman
has been nominated eleven times and never won. The film's DoP, Roger Deakins
, has ten nominations without taking the prize. Their first nominations came on the same film, 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption
42. Adele's "Skyfall" is the first Bond theme to be nominated for an Oscar since "For Your Eyes Only" in 1981. If it wins, it'd be the first Bond film ever to win Best Song.
43. The song was also the first Bond theme ever to debut in the Billboard Top 10, and in the U.K., tied "A View To A Kill" as the highest-charting Bond theme when it reached number two on October 14th.
44. With five nominations, "Skyfall" beats "The Spy Who Loved Me" (which had three) as the most nominated Bond movie. In total, Bond films have won two Oscars (sound for "Goldfinger," visual effects for "Thunderball"), and been nominated for a further twelve, including the "Skyfall" nods.
45. Before "Chasing Ice," the only documentary film to get a Best Song nomination was "An Inconvenient Truth."
46. "The Dark Knight Rises
" failed to get a single Oscar nomination this year. In total, the Christopher Nolan
Batman trilogy has two Oscar wins (both for "The Dark Knight
") and nine nominations (only one for "Batman Begins
") to its name. "The Avengers
" managed one nomination, for Visual Effects. In total, the Marvel
movies so far have had four nominations, and no wins. No Marvel movie without Robert Downey Jr.
has managed an Oscar nomination.
" is the first ever film from Chile to earn an Oscar nomination.
48. John Goodman
is fast becoming a bit of a mascot for Oscar hopefuls. The actor starred in "The Artist
" last year, and this year features in "Argo
," the likely Best Picture winner. It's not actually so long since an actor managed the feat. Guy Pearce
was in both "The Hurt Locker
" and "The King's Speech
." Before him, it was Russell Crowe
, with "Gladiator
" and "A Beautiful Mind
49. But the record for appearing in most Best Picture winners goes to character actor Franklyn Farnum
, who had roles in six: 1937's "The Life Of Emile Zola
," 1945's "The Lost Weekend
," 1947's "Gentleman's Agreement,
" 1950's "All About Eve
," 1952's "The Greatest Show On Earth
" and 1956's "Around The World In 80 Days.
" As far as currently working actors go, Nigel Davenport, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Morgan Freeman, Beth Grant, Bernard Hill, Dustin Hoffman, Diane Keaton, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson
and Talia Shire
have all appeared in three Best Picture winners. If "Les Miserables
" or "Silver Linings Playbook
" were to win this year, Russell Crowe
and Robert De Niro
would join them.
50. Only two other people before Seth MacFarlane
have been nominated the same year that they hosted: Paul Hogan
(Best Original Screenplay, for "Crocodile Dundee
," in 1987), and James Franco
(Best Actor, for "127 Hours
," in 2011).