By Edward Davis | The Playlist February 24, 2014 at 2:28PM
It took nearly 10 years for a sequel to “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” to arrive. And it’s interesting to note, despite all the fan buzz, online news over the years and supposed clamoring for a sequel, “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” proved its cult status by only becoming a marginal box-office hit—the sequel only grossed $39.8 million more than its predecessor and capped out at $169 million worldwide (one has to wonder how that might affect the proposed "Zoolander" sequel which is in a similar cult comedy boat).
That said, Ron Burgundy always found a greater shelf live on video, so perhaps like the original, “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” will prove to be a hugely profitable DVD release. Paramount has announced details of the upcoming Blu-ray release and as director Adam McKay has been promising/hoping for all along, the movie is going to arrive in several forms with three different cuts of the movie in total.
One cut will be the Super-Sized R-Rated Version which is hitting theaters soon (watch the new trailer here), the original theatrical cut, and one more unrated cut (though how different from the original remains to be seen). There’s also apparently almost 90 minutes of new footage in gag-reels, Line-O-Ramas and different outtakes from the comedy. One interesting outtake should be “Anchorman 2: The Musical”— a look at the musical sequel that almost was.
Anyway, here are the details. The 2-disc Blu-ray version should keep you busy for hours on end.
Blu-ray Disc 1
· Feature film in high definition (Unrated Version)
· Commentary by Adam McKay, Judd Apatow, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd & David Koechner
· Feature film in high definition (Theatrical Version)
· Behind-the-Scenes: Newsroom—Inside the making of the film
· Gag Reel, Parts 1 & 2
· Line-O-Rama, Parts 1 & 2—Non-stop alternate lines from the film
· Welcome to the Dolphin Show—Ron Burgundy takes on the crowd
· Catfight—Christina Applegate vs. Meagan Good with hilarious one-liners
· News-O-Rama—Ron and the News Team bring you the headlines
· Kench-O-Rama—Mashup of Kench Allenby’s most Australian moments
· Cast Table Read
Blu-ray Disc 2
· Feature film in high definition (Super-Sized R-Rated Version)
· Anchorman 2: The Musical—A look at the musical sequel that almost was
· RV—Dissecting the RV tumble
· Baxter & Doby—The lovable animals of Anchorman 2
· News Fight—Inside the biggest, baddest all-star celebrity brawl
· Deleted Scenes
· Extended & Alternate Scenes
· Previsualizations—RV, Shark Attack and News Fight sequences
· Auditions—Featuring Meagan Good, Dylan Baker and Amy Poehler
· Benefit for 826LA: “Spoiler Alert”—A special tribute to Anchorman 2
· Feature film in standard definition (Theatrical Version)
“Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” hits Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and VOD on April 1st. The theatrical version and unrated version will also be available digitally on March 11th. [Slashfilm]