By Edward Davis | The Playlist July 30, 2012 at 3:01PM
Is Marvel's "Ant-Man" moving full-speed ahead in time for a 2014 release? If you believe the rumors, then yes. The latest noise from the interwebs says that "Ant-Man" will shoot soon after "Thor 2," aka "Thor: The Dark World" which is scheduled to start filming on August 6th. The rumored report says "Ant-Man" will shoot in London in late spring/early summer 2013 (here's some semi-nerdy inside-baseball news on "Thor 2" which you might care about too).
While that's great and all, but where does "Ant-Man" filmmaker Edgar Wright fit this all in? First off, Wright has his own original, feature-length film, "The World's End," to direct this September. Reuniting him with pals Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, the final film of his "Cornetto Trilogy" would still presumably need a few months of post-production work, particularly as Wright is prepping it for a 2013 release (at least according to the official teaser poster).
But is Edgar going to super-multi-task? Let's play it very conservatively (and optimistically) and assume he needs 10 months to shoot and edit "The World's End" (more like a year to be safe). From there, he turns around and shoots "Ant-Man" immediately after with no pre-production time? Or, is "The World's End," which is a Focus Features project, a little bit smaller scale and easier to turn around under a year?
Frankly, we're super dubious. All the reports (and re-reports) sound incredibly optimistic, but we've suppose we've been wrong in the past. After "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World," Wright wanted to simply unplug and sleep. Would he just live on an a caffiene intravenous? We'll believe the above time-frame schedule coming to pass when we see it. Wright showed off test-footage from "Ant-Man" at Comic-Con earlier this summer and at the very least, it illustrated that Marvel are committed to finally making this long-in-development project.