In the midst of summer blockbuster season, Mike Mills' "Beginners" will make its way to theaters. If you want to spend your money wisely and walk away with something you won't forget about when you throw away that half eaten bag of jumbo popcorn, you'll do yourself a favor and buy a ticket to this. The film earned a solid rave from our man at SXSW who called it "a wonderfully attuned and empathetic look at love, life and grief" and if that isn't enough, the soundtrack looks like it will be one you'll want to pick up.
Spanning 12 tracks, the disc is a wonderful compilation made mostly of great tunes by the legendary Jelly Roll Morton and Mamie Smith, a classic by Hoagy Carmichael and we're pretty thrilled to see the excellent and underrated Gene Austin on here as well. Meanwhile, Roger Neill, Dave Palmer and Brian Reitzell who wrote the introspective and minimal score will get their work represented on the disc too. All in all, it looks like one that will be great to spin on the forthcoming balmy summer nights.
The soundtrack hits stores on May 31st with the film rolling out on June 3rd. Check out the complete tracklisting below. [via Film Music Reporter]
"Beginners" Soundtrack Tracklisting
1. Stardust (Hoagy Camichael)
2. Everything’s Made For Love (Gene Austin)
3. Bach Suite (David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell)
4. 1955 (David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell)
5. Sweet Jazz Music (Jelly Roll Morton)
6. That Da Da Strain (Mamie Smith)
7. Mamanita (Jelly Roll Morton)
8. Moon Waltz (David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell)
9. Veronica’s Blues (David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell)
10. Breezin’ Along with the Breeze (Josephine Baker)
11. Beginners Theme Suite (David Palmer, Roger Neill, Brian Reitzell)
12. Buddy Bertrand’s Blues (Jelly Roll Morton)