Having successfully completed their Kickstarter initiative, casting is well and truly underway with these two the first additions. Deen will play protagonist Christian, a "trust fund kid, power player and major manipulator, who is a film producer that enjoys filming his own three-way sex sessions," while Lohan will play his girlfriend/former model, Tara, who "has sold her pride for the material comforts Christian can provide." Three other lead roles remain unfilled including Ryan, a bartender and young actor who is angling for a role in Christian's horror movie; Gina, who works for Ryan and is in love with him and is also looking for a role in the horror pic, and finally, Lindsay, a former actress turned yoga instructor who is sleeping with Christian, and falling in love with him.
Lohan's casting seems to be a smart marketing/PR move on both parties' behalf: the micro-indie "The Canyons" will now receive a boatload of free press coverage throughout production while providing Lohan -- who is currently involved in a bit of a car crash scandal (and of course filming "Liz & Dick" for Lifetime) -- another outlet for her seemingly never-ending comeback.
"The Canyons," billed as the antithesis of MTV's "The Hills," will follow a small group of young twenty-somethings trying to make it in Los Angeles. A highly publicized open casting call went out for the film, and we'll soon see who joins Lohan and Deen. Lensing will take place in July with a VOD/Netflix-style release planned in the future.
- "Completely committed to adapting Fifty Shades of Grey. This is not a joke. Christian Grey and Ana: potentially great cinematic characters."
- "Hope E.L. James doesn't think I'm being a prankster. I really want to adapt her novels for the screen. Christian Grey is a writer's dream..."
- "Today the team has been briefed and we will be approaching the studio this week about BEE adapting "Fifty Shades of Grey" into a film."
- "The casting of Christian in "Fifty Shades of Grey" wouldn't be up to me but I have certain actors in mind. And a particular actress for Ana."
- "I think David Cronenberg is a great idea for directing Fifty Shades of Grey and we worked together on American Psycho in its initial phase."
Good luck with that....Finally, we've also got a trailer for a short film featuring Lohan and scored by Thomas Bangalter, one half of Daft Punk. Helmed by artist Richard Phillips, the "surf-noir" is evidently inspired by "Lost Highway" and Greg MacGillivray and Jim Freeman's "Free And Easy." The short is co-directed by Taylor Steele, edited by Jay Rabinowitz and will appear at Art Unlimited in Basel. [via Stereogum]