By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist August 23, 2012 at 10:17AM
Even though "The Expendables 2" opened at the top of the box office this past weekend to smaller numbers than its predecessor, it seems everyone already has their eye on a third installment. Producer Avi Lerner has boasted he's already inked Nicolas Cage for "The Expendables 3," and says he will be approaching guys like Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford and Wesley Snipes. But there is one Expendable who says he won't be coming back to kick more aging ass: Chuck Norris.
"Nope. Just number 2. This is it for me. Oh, yeah. This is very special," the actor told Access Hollywood (via Dark Horizons) when asked if he will do a third installment. But he did enjoy the experience and the chance to meet some of the younger generation who are carrying on the B-movie action mantle.
"Just to be able to do the film with guys I've known for many, many years. To get a chance to get in and fight with them, it was a lot of fun. Plus getting a chance to meet Terry Crews, who I hadn't met before. And Jason Statham, whom I hadn't met before. It was fun just to do that," he explained.
Of course, why he's choosing to sit out the next round, considering it's the most high-profile gig he's done since being a punchline for Conan O'Brien, isn't known, but perhaps the R-rated mouth of the movie isn't sitting well with the staunchly right-wing actor. Earlier this year, Norris was quite vocal with his displeasure about the film's "vulgar dialogue," and said that producers were going to meet his demands, clean it up, and release it as a PG-13 jaunt. Clearly that didn't happen, and perhaps he's a bit miffed. Or maybe it's because dude is 71 years old and is ready to hang up his kicking shoes. Either way, there are plenty of creaky-boned action stars knocking around to fill his slot.