By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist January 7, 2014 at 1:16PM
The Coens might want to hold on putting down that deposit for a tuxedo, as it seems their wonderful "Inside Llewyn Davis" is not registering with voters. After being shut out of the Producers Guild and Writers Guild awards nominations, the directorial duo have once again been left in the cold, this time by the DGA.
The Director's Guild Award nominations have arrived this afternoon, and there are no huge surprises, with big names getting the big honor. It's pretty safe to say that Steve McQueen, David O. Russell and Martin Scorsese have been locks pretty much all season long (with "The Wolf Of Wall Street" really kicking things up a notch in the last week or so), while it looks like Alfonso Cuaron is getting a big hat tip for this technical wizardry on "Gravity." And while the Oscar prospects of "Captain Phillips" have been shaky, it looks like it could make a nice showing with Paul Greengrass getting a nod here.
And while the DGAs are generally good augurs of what will happen on Oscar night, remember this: last year Ben Affleck won the DGA Award but wasn't even nominated for Best Director at the Oscars. Anything can happen. Full list of nominees below. [Variety]
(Warner Bros. Pictures)
Mr. Cuarón’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: David Siegel (Arizona Unit)
• First Assistant Directors: Josh Robertson, Stephen Hagen (Arizona Unit)
• Second Assistant Director: Ben Howard
This is Mr. Cuarón’s first DGA Award nomination.
Mr. Greengrass’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Managers: Todd Lewis, Gregory Goodman
• First Assistant Director: Chris Carreras
• Second Assistant Directors: Nick Shuttleworth, Mark S. Constance
This is Mr. Greengrass’s first DGA Award nomination.
12 Years A Slave
(Fox Searchlight Pictures)
Mr. McQueen’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: Anthony Katagas
• First Assistant Director: Doug Torres
• Second Assistant Director: James Roque Jr.
• Second Second Assistant Director: Sherman Shelton Jr.
• Additional Second Assistant Director: Nathan Parker
This is Mr. McQueen’s first DGA Award nomination.
DAVID O. RUSSELL
Mr. Russell’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Managers: Shea Kammer, Mark Kamine
• First Assistant Director: Michele ‘Shelley’ Ziegler
• Second Assistant Director: Xanthus Valan
• Second Second Assistant Director: Jason Fesel
• Location Managers: David Velasco, Guy Efrat (New York Unit)
This is Mr. Russell’s second DGA Award nomination. He was previously nominated in this category for The Fighter in 2010.
The Wolf of Wall Street
Mr. Scorsese’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: Richard Baratta
• First Assistant Director: Adam Somner
• Second Assistant Director: Francisco Oritz
• Second Second Assistant Director: Jeremy Marks
• Additional Second Assistant Director: Scott Koche
• Location Manager: Nils Widboom
This is Mr. Scorsese’s eleventh DGA Award nomination. He won the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film in 2006 for The Departed, and has also been nominated in that category for Taxi Driver (1976), Raging Bull (1980), Goodfellas (1990), The Age of Innocence (1993), Gangs of New York (2002), The Aviator (2004) and Hugo (2011). Mr. Scorsese also won the DGA Award in 2010 for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Dramatic Television for Boardwalk Empire and he was nominated for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentary for George Harrison: Living in the Material World in 2011. In 1999, Mr. Scorsese was presented with the Filmmaker Award at the inaugural DGA Honors Gala, and he was honored with the DGA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.