By Edward Davis | The Playlist June 25, 2012 at 12:59PM
Due in theaters this weekend in Canada and in limited release in the U.S. (and currently available on VOD), by now you hopefully know that Sarah Polley’s sophomore release “Take This Waltz” is one of our favorite films of the year so far. Starring Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Canadian actor Luke Kirby, and comedienne Sarah Silverman (in a great dramatic performance) the film is an unflinchingly raw look at love, infidelity and the often selfish choices we make in our lives (read our review here).
And apart from being emotional, moving, melancholy and at times, difficult to watch, the film's textured funny, happy/sad moods are well buttressed by an excellent soundtrack, and again, one of our favorites of the year so far. The movie takes its title from a classic Leonard Cohen song and the film features that cut (of course), plus Canadian chanteuse Feist's take on Cohen's "Closing Time" and her own "Secret Heart" (though that's a Ron Sexsmith cover actually). Feist's Cohen cover hasn't ever been released as far as we can tell, so maybe that should behoove someone to eventually put out a proper soundtrack disc (see below). Other strong tracks in the film include two Michah P Hinson songs, The Buggles' famous "Video Killed The Radio Star," a Burton Cummings ballad, and two songs you've probably heard in various trailers for the film including Jason Collet's "Rave On Sad Songs" and Corinna Rose and the Rusty Horse Band's "Green Mountain State." Below is a list of all the music featured in the film aside from the also-exemplary score by Jonathan Goldsmith which is also, dreamy, romantically forlorn and wistful much like the film and its soundtrack cuts itself. Oh, and Canadians should take note of the '80s pop hit "Rise Up" by the Parachute Club which is used to pretty clever and hilarious effect in the movie.
All the music featured in "Take This Waltz"
1. Take This Waltz - Leonard Cohen
2. Green Mountain State - Corinna Rose and the Rusty Horse Band
3. Close Your Eyes - Micah P Hinson
4. Mahi Ve - JoSH
5. Secret Heart – Feist (written by Ron Sexsmith)
6. Wide Open Plain - Doug Paisley
7. Rise Up - The Parachute Club
8. Vittoria - Charles Spearin
9. Santa Lucia - A Man Da Band Feat. Marco DiFelice
10. Rave On Sad Songs - Jason Collett
11. Underground - A Man Da Band Feat. Marco DiFelice
12. Video Killed The Radio Star- Buggles
13. Closing Time – Feist (written by Leonard Cohen)
14. Don’t You (Pt.1& 2) - Micah P Hinson
15. Stand Tall - Burton Cummings
While no official soundtrack release does seem to exist in the U.S., on iTunes Canada, a kinda makeshift playlist has been made to stand in for a soundtrack CD (though it is called an "official soundtrack") and you can download it here. The tracklist is below and you can also hear some of the soundtrack cuts here. For completists, this viral "Take This Waltz" site also features Toronto band The Billie Hollies' very sweet “Hold It Up To The Sun” song on its page, but as far as we can tell, it's not actually used in the film.
1. Green Mountain State -Corinna Rose & The Rusty Horse Band
2. Mahi Ve - Josh
3. Secret Heart - Feist
4. Wide Open Plain - Doug Paisley
5. Rise Up - Parachute Club
6. Vittoria - Charles Spearin
7. Rave On Sad Songs - Jason Collett
8. Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
9. Take This Waltz - Leonard Cohen
10. Stand Tall - Burton Cummings
You can hear excerpts from the soundtrack on the next page.