Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...
New ‘Ant-Man’ Photos; Movie May Include More Marvel Cinematic Universe Characters New ‘Ant-Man’ Photos; Movie May Include More Marvel Cinematic Universe Characters Over 30 New 'Jurassic World' Photos, Plus 2 New Clips & Lots Of New TV Spots Over 30 New 'Jurassic World' Photos, Plus 2 New Clips & Lots Of New TV Spots Matt Damon Goes Interstellar Again In New Pics From Ridley Scott's 'The Martian' Matt Damon Goes Interstellar Again In New Pics From Ridley Scott's 'The Martian' First Look: Matt Damon As An Astronaut In Ridley Scott’s ‘The Martian’ First Look: Matt Damon As An Astronaut In Ridley Scott’s ‘The Martian’ Cannes Review: Justin Kurzel's 'Macbeth' Starring Michael Fassbender & Marion Cotillard Cannes Review: Justin Kurzel's 'Macbeth' Starring Michael Fassbender & Marion Cotillard Watch: Incredible Vintage Footage Of Audience Reactions To 'The Exorcist' In 1973 Watch: Incredible Vintage Footage Of Audience Reactions To 'The Exorcist' In 1973 Cannes Review: Gaspar Noé's Hardcore And Softhearted 'Love' Cannes Review: Gaspar Noé's Hardcore And Softhearted 'Love' Here's The Character Backstory For Doof aka Guitar Flamethrower Dude In 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Here's The Character Backstory For Doof aka Guitar Flamethrower Dude In 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Cannes Review: Hou Hsiao-Hsien's 'The Assassin' Is An Epic Visual Poem Cannes Review: Hou Hsiao-Hsien's 'The Assassin' Is An Epic Visual Poem The 10 Most Controversial Cannes Films Ever The 10 Most Controversial Cannes Films Ever Roger Deakins To Shoot Denis Villeneuve's 'Blade Runner' Sequel Roger Deakins To Shoot Denis Villeneuve's 'Blade Runner' Sequel More NSFW Posters For Gaspar Noe's 3D 'Love' Plus The Official Director's Statement More NSFW Posters For Gaspar Noe's 3D 'Love' Plus The Official Director's Statement Cannes: Watch A Three Way Makeout In The First Clip From Gaspar Noe’s 3D ‘Love’ Plus New NSFW Image Cannes: Watch A Three Way Makeout In The First Clip From Gaspar Noe’s 3D ‘Love’ Plus New NSFW Image Simon Pegg Worries That Adults Obsessed With Comics & Sci-Fi Have Become "Infantilized By Our Own Taste" Simon Pegg Worries That Adults Obsessed With Comics & Sci-Fi Have Become "Infantilized By Our Own Taste" George Miller Says 'Interstellar' Came Close To What His Version Of 'Contact' Would've Been Like George Miller Says 'Interstellar' Came Close To What His Version Of 'Contact' Would've Been Like New NSFW, Extremely Graphic, Adults-Only Poster For Gaspar Noe's 'Love' New NSFW, Extremely Graphic, Adults-Only Poster For Gaspar Noe's 'Love' The 25 Best Horror Films Of The 21st Century So Far The 25 Best Horror Films Of The 21st Century So Far The 20 Best TV Shows Of The 2013/2014 Season The 20 Best TV Shows Of The 2013/2014 Season 10 Movies Booed At Cannes 10 Movies Booed At Cannes All The Songs In 'Pitch Perfect' Including La Roux, David Guetta, Azealia Banks, Nicki Minaj & More All The Songs In 'Pitch Perfect' Including La Roux, David Guetta, Azealia Banks, Nicki Minaj & More

George Lucas Met With Screenwriters, Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher About 'Star Wars 7' Before Disney Sale

Photo of Kevin Jagernauth By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist November 1, 2012 at 9:04AM

Two days after it was announced, the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and the revelation of a new trilogy of "Star Wars" films on the way continues spur discussion, excitement, speculation and more. We're still three years out from 'Episode VII' arriving in 2015, but given the amount of updates and tidbits pouring out over the past 48 hours, you would think it was coming next month. What we do know thus far is that, once again bucking fan expectations, Lucas has decided not to use the revered books, but is launching an original story, one that will reportedly feature Luke Skywalker, now in his 30s or 40s, in a tale that will follow "Stars Wars: Episode IV - Return Of The Jedi." And while a treatment is done, it appears that George Lucas was open to other ideas.
13
Star Wars George Lucas Harrison Ford Mark Hamill Carrie Fisher Set

Two days after it was announced, the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and the revelation of a new trilogy of "Star Wars" films on the way continues spur discussion, excitement, speculation and more. We're still three years out from 'Episode VII' arriving in 2015, but given the amount of updates and tidbits pouring out over the past 48 hours, you would think it was coming next month. What we do know thus far is that, once again bucking fan expectations, Lucas has decided not to use the revered books, but is launching an original story, one that will reportedly feature Luke Skywalker, now in his 30s or 40s, in a tale that will follow "Stars Wars: Episode IV - Return Of The Jedi." And while a treatment is done, it appears that George Lucas was open to other ideas.

The LA Times reveals that in the months before the sale to Disney was announced, Lucas, his replacement at Lucasfilm and new co-chair Kathleen Kennedy met with writers to hear pitches for what 'Episode 7' should be. According to their source, the talent "were well-known screenwriters with experience creating big-budget Hollywood films." So, was Lucas feeling out who would be best suited to bring his treatment to life? Or was he ready to switch gears if a better idea came along? Depending on who you believe, Lucas has either always planned his saga this far out, or, as he has sometimes said himself, he hasn't. However, while fans continue to cross their fingers for Christopher Nolan or David Fincher to direct (sorry guys, not going to happen), at the screenwriting level at least, it seems they are going for big names.

Another interesting tidbit comes from EW, who caught up with Luke himself, Mark Hamill, to talk about the news. He remained cautious about saying too much, but did confirm that he and Carrie Fisher met with Lucas this summer, where Lucas told them his plans for a new series of movies. "He did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do [Episodes] VII, VIII, and IX, and that [newly appointed Lucasfilm president] Kathleen Kennedy would be doing them," he said, adding: "I missed his call yesterday, but I spoke to him maybe three weeks ago. But until we know more, it’s hard to make any comment other than congratulations to George."

"...last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, 'We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,' I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!' [Laughs]," Hamill said.

But for now, it seems Lucas was just giving his original cast members a heads up, rather than eyeing them for roles. "...he was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, 'Now you can’t tell anybody!' [Laughs] Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!," Hamill shared.

Lastly, we've all ribbed Lucas a bit for pocketing a check for $4 billion for Lucasfilm, but it appears he's going to do some tremendous good with the money. THR reports that Lucas will channel a good portion of the money into a foundation that will focus on educational issues. “For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company,” Lucas said in a statement. “As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy.” And you know what? That's pretty rad.

This article is related to: George Lucas, Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens, Star Wars: Episode 8, Star Wars: Episode 9, Mark Hamill


The Playlist

The obsessives' guide to contemporary cinema via film discussion, news, reviews, features, nostalgia, movie music, soundtracks, DVDs and more.


E-Mail Updates