By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist October 18, 2013 at 9:03AM
Harvey Weinstein's reputation precedes him, but it's a complicated one. While the producer has been known for championing difficult movies and using the full power of the PR machine to get the word out, he's equally reputed for his battles with filmmakers over the edits of their films. It's the latter quality that's getting the most attention in the past couple of months. Word of Bong Joon-ho's displeasure at having to recut "Snowpiercer" for Harv is already surfacing, and now another director is airing his grievances about the producer meddling with his film.
Once touted as a potential Oscar season contender, it came as a bit of surprise when, earlier this month, the Nicole Kidman starring biopic "Grace Of Monaco" was pushed to a spring 2014 release date. Harvey Weinstein said at the time that the movie “just wasn’t finished, the sound, anything” but it would seem that was just a bit of window dressing over the real problem: he's battling with director Olivier Dahan over the cut of the movie.
AlloCine reveals that in an interview with French newspaper Liberation, Dahan has sounded off over Weinstein's meddling, complaining that he wants a "sanitized" and "Hollywood" friendly version of his film. What's causing even further consternation for the filmmaker is that Weinstein isn't even financially invested in the project beyond his deal to distribute the movie in the United States (though it should be noted, that's also the case with "Snowpiercer"). Finally, Dahan is also peeved about the teaser trailer that dropped in September, one that he says had none of his input.
Whether or not this will be resolved by the March 14, 2014 release date for the picture remains to be seen, but with two directors now at the gates of the Weinstein castle with torches, it might be time for Harvey to respond.