By Oliver Lyttelton | www.oliverlyttelton.com May 17, 2013 at 1:45PM
We tend not to weigh in on box-office so much bar our weekly rundown on Sunday afternoons, but every so often a significant milestone comes up, and today is such a day; various sources report that some time yesterday, Marvel's "Iron Man 3" crossed the billion dollar mark at the box office (while also managing to cross $300 million domestically, making it the first film of 2013 to do so).
The film managed it just under three weeks after opening internationally, leaving it slightly behind the pace of "The Avengers," but we're sure Disney and Marvel will be delighted, with the film still on course to possibly crack the all-time top 5 if it keeps up this pace. And we're just happy that the man who made "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," Shane Black, is suddenly such a box office behemoth...
But it got us thinking, as we head into the weekend: what's the best $1 billion grosser of all time? And what's the worst? 16 films have managed the feat so far, and in our minds, there's a significant gap in quality between some of them. . Below, we've put the 16 billion-dollar films in a sure-to-be-controversial descending order of quality. Let us know which of the ten-figure club is your favorite, and your least favorite, and our favorite answer will win a billion dollars! (N.B: Not really) Take a look at the list below.
1. "Toy Story 3" ($1.063B)
2. "The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King" ($1.119B)
3. "The Dark Knight Rises" ($1.084B)
4. "The Dark Knight" ($1.004B)
5. "Titanic" ($2.185B)
6. "The Avengers" ($1.511B)
7. ""Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2" ($1.341B)
8. "Skyfall" ($1.108B)
9. "Iron Man 3" ($1.000B and counting)
10. "Avatar" ($2.782B)
11. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" ($1.066B)
12. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" ($1.017B)
13. "Transformers: Dark Of The Moon" ($1.123B)
14. "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" ($1.027B)
15. "Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" ($1.043B)
16. " Alice In Wonderland" ($1.024B)