By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist June 6, 2011 at 3:14AM
With at least fifteen sequels already planned for release in 2012, the biggest question mark of them all remains "Star Trek 2." Currently, the film is still pegged with a June 29, 2012 release date but with J.J. Abrams not yet signed on, everything else -- including further script work -- is on hold until until the helmer makes a decision, and its looking unlikely for the sequel to make its target date. In fact, it was only a couple of weeks ago that reports surfaced that the film would be pushed to a winter 2012 release date. J.J. Abrams spoke with press today in advance of Friday's release of "Super 8," and Playlist writer Leah Zak was on hand and the director himself was quite candid about the chances of the "Star Trek 2" making it to your local multiplex next summer.
Asked about whether or not the highly anticipated sequel would arrive as currently timed for next June, Abrams said, "I care much more about it being good than it be ready...we're doing everything we can to make sure schedules don't get screwed up. I don't think anyone wants a movie on time that's not worth your time."
Of course, anything is possible, and if Matthew Vaughn can crank out "X-Men: First Class" in ten months surely Abrams could deliver on a tight schedule. That said, he is just coming off "Super 8" and he's got a new show hitting television this fall ("Person Of Interest") so he may want to take a short breather, look hard at the "Star Trek 2" script and make sure everything is up to par before rushing into anything.
The other big question, is whether or not the film will be in 3D. While we'll avoid the current argument about whether or not the format is fading with audiences (it's a bit too early to tell), Abrams said he hasn't been feeling any pressure. "I'm not yet considering it, but I haven't gotten that
threatening phone call from men in suits," he told us with a laugh. But he seems to be backing down from comments he made earlier in the year.
Back in January, Abrams said he had already been asked by Paramount about 3D for "Star Trek 2" and he made his unease with the format known quite clearly at the time saying, “I have nothing against 3-D in theory. But I’ve also never run to the movies because something’s in 3-D. [As for 'Trek'], as soon as I read the script, if it says, ‘Somebody pushes a weapon toward the camera in a menacing way,’ and we think, ‘That’d be better in 3-D!’... I dunno.”
But all of this talk is pretty much irrelevant if Abrams doesn't do the movie, and he's still playing very coy about whether or not he'll come back. "I would love to do any number of things [next] and hopefully the one that we'll be able to have some information on sooner or later is the next 'Star Trek,'" he said.
So, still more questions than answers on "Star Trek 2" but it's looking pretty clear that it won't be coming next summer. But you won't have to wait too long for Abrams to deliver your blockbuster movie fix, as his excellent "Super 8" opens this Friday.