By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist June 23, 2014 at 5:23PM
We usually do casting round ups, but today we fly in the face of routine with a couple of updates on movies that people won't be in (or may not be in). So let's get this ball of things not happening rolling...
First up, Will Smith dropped out of "Brilliance" last month, with reports last week that Jared Leto would take his place. Not so, says Nikke Finke. The 30 Seconds To Mars frontman apparently turned down the role in the movie that kinda basically sounds like X-Men, focusing on a federal agent with extraordinary abilities who has to hunt down a similarly gifted person who intends to start a civil war. Again, this is not a X-Men movie. Noomi Rapace is presumably still attached with Julius Onah to direct.
In more distressing news, Matthew McConaughey appears to be stepping away from the stripping pole in "Magic Mike XXL." At least that's according to "Magic Mike" co-star Gabriel Iglesias, who spoke to Dish Nation (via FilmDrunk) and said the following: “Word has it that Matt’s probably not gonna be involved, because he’s worth a lot of money now – that whole Oscar thing – so, but yeah, I’ve signed on for part two.” What? McConaughey is too good and expensive now? Somebody at Warner Bros. stuff a few more fives into his thong.
But seriously, that's a bit of a bummer as his vibe was part of the key to success with the original, and it got him all sorts of McConaissance recognition. So why turn his back on it now? Hopefully, Channing Tatum and the film's editor, camera operator and director of photography Steven Soderbergh (Greg Jacobs will direct the sequel) can convince him otherwise. All right, all right, all right?