By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist March 28, 2014 at 12:15PM
While sequels are nothing new in Hollywood, one movie we perhaps didn't expect to go franchise was "Magic Mike." But Steven Soderbergh's stripper saga was a sensation, notching over $165 million worldwide. Not bad for an R-rated movie about the male strip scene. So work was started on a sequel (and Broadway show) and it looks like Channing Tatum and co. are going to get back on the pole very soon, at least according to Big Dick Richie.
Speaking with Collider, Joe Manganiello revealed that plans are afoot for "Magic Mike 2" to shoot later this year. “Yeah, it’s gonna happen this fall. I think they’re going to announce it soon," the actor said. "It’s crazy. I didn’t think that would be my first franchise. I never thought that would ever be the direction of my career. But that said, it’s just proof that I don’t know best, all the time. It was the most fun I’ve ever had, and I can’t wait to get back in and mix it up with those guys.”
No word yet on who will direct, though Soderbergh has offered to act as DP if Tatum himself takes the job, which the actor is thinking of doing. As for the plot, there's little to go on, though it has been said it will be a road movie and draw upon more of Tatum's tales from his stripper days that didn't make it into the first movie. “There were some stories and events that Channing lived through that we just couldn't fit in the first one," Soderbergh said last year. "One of them is a really hilarious and very cinematic idea that we reluctantly didn't put in the first film, because it was such a big idea you could build a whole film out of it - but we didn't want to build that film out of it. It's perfect for this, though.”
So get ready, because it looks like Magic Mike, Dallas and the rest of the gang will soon be back to grind their junk in your face, cinematically speaking.