By Kevin Jagernauth | The Playlist July 18, 2014 at 9:25AM
It would seem that as Kevin Feige continues on the promotional run for "Guardians Of The Galaxy," it has also turned into the "Ant-Man" apology and don't-worry-it's-gonna-be-good-tour as well. Earlier this week, Feige stood up for the new choice of director Peyton Reed, and said the upcoming movie will be the "best version" possible. It's a sentiment he repeats for The Guardian, while also expanding on Edgar Wright's departure and essentially putting forth that the filmmaker wanted more of his personal imprint on the project, which goes against the general vibe of Marvel productions.
"We sat round a table and we realised it was not working. A part of me wishes we could have figured that out in the eight years we were working on it. But better for us and for Edgar that we figure it out then, and not move it through production," Feige explained, adding: "The Marvel movies are very collaborative, and I think they are more collaborative than what he had been used to. And I totally respect that."
The Marvel honcho confirms it truly was "creative differences" that forced Wright off the movie, but Feige wants people to know that what went down had nothing to do with the vision of the movie being too adventurous for the studio. "[But] the notion that Marvel was scared, the vision was too good, too far out for Marvel is not true," he said. "And I don't want to talk too much about that because I think our movies speak to that. Go look at 'Iron Man 3;' go look at 'The Winter Soldier;' go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy' later this month. It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us."
And it's a valid point by Feige, but it only makes the specific reasons for Wright's exit all the more curious. More to come we're sure... "Ant-Man" arrives on July 17, 2015.