Lars Von Trier's 'The Nymphomaniac' With Charlotte Gainsbourg Will Be 2 Part Film, Aiming For Cannes Premiere In 2013

News
by Kevin Jagernauth
April 25, 2012 10:36 PM
9 Comments
  • |

Lars von Trier has never been short on balls. His career has been filled with films that have found the director walking right into a hornets nest of thorny issues, whether it's slavery ("Manderlay"), the American empire ("Dogville"), feminism (sorta) ("Antichrist"), depression ("Melancholia"), faith ("Breaking The Waves") or just plain ol' "spazzing" ("The Idiots"), and so doing a movie about sex seems like the logical next step. But of course, his approach is never as simple as those reductive summaries suggest, and the resulting works are always controversial, exasperating, overreaching, brilliant and fascinating -- often all at once. And once again, Lars von Trier is stepping beyond expectations.

Even though it was reported last year that Charlotte Gainsbourg would be reteaming with the helmer for "The Nymphomaniac," word began circulating today (again) that she was on board. But there's more. Producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen tells Screen Daily, “We are making two films. It is a big operation. I personally hope that we should be ready for Cannes next year. We will shoot both and edit both – and we want to finish both at the same time.” Um, awesome.

In case you forgot, the film will chronicle the sexual/erotic life of a woman until the age of 50. Jensen confirms previous reports that both softcore and hardcore versions of the movie will be made (“We will probably blur the central points of the human body for the release worldwide but we will probably make one unblurred that will be for screening maybe in Cannes.”), and adds that the first part will deal with childhood and adolescence, while part two will focus on adulthood. But wait, what was that about Cannes?

Even though Lars Von Trier was declared persona non grata at the festival last year and banned from the Croisette following his unfortunate comments, the plan is to shoot "The Nymphomaniac" in Germany this summer and then try and bring it to the south of France next year. “...we have some pretty big names in the movie which proves that in spite of his [von Trier’s] strange quotes from Cannes last year, his value for actors to work with him has never been better,” Jensen says, perhaps hoping that Thierry Fremaux and company will let the situation be water under the bridge. Big stars or not, it will be a very difficult film to turn down. That said, it was Lars von Trier who was banned, not production company Zentropa (who are behind Thomas Vinterberg's "The Hunt" which is playing In Competition this year). So Cannes could very well accept the film, though Lars Von Trier may not be asked to come. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

And wait, there's more good news. Remember last spring, when it was announced that von Trier was going to work with Martin Scorsese on another "The Five Obstructions," where the latter would be asked to remake certain parts of his films under strict, difficult conditions? Well, it's apparently still on even though for a moment Lars von Trier wasn't sure it was happening anymore. “They are talking together, Lars and Scorsese,” Jensen offered. And that's good enough for us. It's a great idea, and we'd be excited to see what Scorsese would pull together.

A two part movie about sex and making Scorsese revisit his old films? Even we doubt even Lars has any idea how he's going to top this.

You might also like:
Free Indie Movies and Documentaries    

9 Comments

  • Gerry | April 30, 2012 9:51 PMReply

    Who cares about fucking Cannes? Long ago it became a mirror of Hollywood and intolerant as they are, Von Trier can go straight to Berlin or Venice film festivals, both with a higher reputation than stupid, politically correct, zionist ass kisser Cannes...

  • Huffy | August 2, 2012 9:47 AM

    Wow, you call the French overly sensitive and then list Berlin as being an option? Had Lars said that in Germany the shitstorm would have been even bigger. And sorry to be blunt but anyone who thinks that Cannes reflects Hollywood's tastes more than Venice does is a dipshit.

  • what the hell | May 1, 2012 12:53 AM

    The French were off base, but don't blame the Jews, unless you really are a Nazi yourself - Lars was just stumbling on a joke based on the fact that he thought he was Jewish and realized that he was German, so he was musing if that meant he were a Nazi. Geeze, any chance to get at Israel for people like you.

  • lou | April 30, 2012 3:10 PMReply

    Lars von Trier is one of the best director right now, no wonder everybody who has a brain wants to work with him..he is unique and despises american medias..that is maybe your problem (you are bitter we get it when you did not even nominate his last work for oscars although he deserved it over any of the nominated BY FAR FAR FAR this year..) but it is certainly not his and of course Cannes will worship him, they only banished him last year for two seconds in order to appear politically correct..pathetic..but doesn't matter we can't wait for Lars next work !

  • Reini Urban | April 26, 2012 8:17 PMReply

    So will Cannes finally say sorry to von Trier for their dangerous overreaction and pardon him?
    He should be protected not condemned by the festival direction. Looks like they spoke already.

  • eugenie de franval | April 26, 2012 1:14 PMReply

    The key is never to try and top yourself. Simply move on the the next project. With someone as artistic and outrageous as Von Trier, it will just come naturally.

  • Porter | April 26, 2012 12:11 PMReply

    Lars von Trier is one of the best directors in the history of cinema!

  • Huffy | April 26, 2012 1:35 AMReply

    Eh, he'll be back within a few years, maybe even 2013. If they could forgive Polanski for what he did they can certainly overlook Von Trier's mouth.

  • [A] | April 25, 2012 10:52 PMReply

    Interesting!

    PS the tweet is too long! haha!

Email Updates